Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm Civ3 Too hard

Well don't laugh at me now ok?
    i think civ3 is too hard even at the easy level.
    i play civ2 and the chieftain level is easy,but in civ3 i got my a** kicked even though i planned my empire very well and tried to keep frindship with other civs on my island.
    BUT the computer controlled civs build cities at an amazingly speed they can build over 30 cities,i only have about 10
    i think the computer ai is way overtuned.
    Any mods around that level the ai some more?
    So that playing at cheftain level is easy and not impossible?
    Any mods around to make the computer ai's a little less aggressive and a little less "Build,build,build cities" if you know what i mean.

Civ III is definitely harder than Civ II, I'll give you that. When I got my copy of Civ II, I started on the easy level, played until I won, and then moved up a level. Eventually, I got to the point where I could win on Deity level about 30 percent of the time. With that expertise (here, kcbob thumps chest), I started playing Civ III at the Regent level. After getting my rear kicked a couple of times (here, kcbob hangs head in shame), I decided to start on the easiest level and again work my way up. I just won my first game over the weekend and am looking forward to the next level. Give it time, Lunde. You'll get there.

BTW, I am thoroughly amazed at how many players have mastered Deity level in Civ III already. I wonder if they also have shorefront land in Montana for sale.
    Frodo lives!

Comment

Hey kcbob:-)

Hey kcbob
      do you use any mods?
      do you recommend any mods?

Comment

It is hard! I kind of like that though.. in a way. It's a whole different game. It's not civ1, not civ2.. not smax .. it's civ3!

My first game I started on warmonger level whatever (second level). Got my butt kicked. Went to easiest level, did ok.. had to fight for the win though.

Starting to get the hang of it though... I think?

I just know though here in another 6 months or so.. we all will be saying "man, this is easy.. all ya gotta do is this and this!".

Hopefully

Comment

On another note :

They should make the easiest level easier. They been advertising it on tv and such.

I could just see some dude/dudette who never heard of or played the "previous" games and such trying to go at it .. doing what it (the game) tells her/him to do. "Build a spearman.. build a warrior .. build another warrior .. build another warrior" ..

Comment

I can agree with all of you that Civ III is more dificult than Civ II, but that's just good, because on longrun we would get bored with the game, if there wouldn't be new levels to try in dificulty.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Had the same experience. Ass-kicking on regent Civ III (used to play Deity on Civ II), then moved to chieftain (easiest) and winning easily.
              Civ III is also just different. If you play using Civ II tactics you get an ass-kicking on principle. You have to learn Civ III from scratch. Resources work differently (you need access to resources for untis, resources disappear) and of course culture.
              After I win this one, I'm moving to second level though.

Robert
              A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

The main problem I'm finding is having 16 civs at once. I keep getting trashed with so many other civs around, but it makes the game so much more interesting I can't help but include them all every time I start a new game (which is getting to be quite often).

If you have less Civs I imagine it makes things quite a bit easier?
                I've seen things that you people wouldn't believe.

Comment

Re: Hey kcbob:-)

Originally posted by Lunde
                  Hey kcbob
                  do you use any mods?
                  do you recommend any mods?
                  No, I've never used any mods. I do take a lot of comfort in reading everyone's posts and finding this is a very big boat we're in.
                  Frodo lives!

Comment

Hi Crom,

16 civs at once - gee you're a sucker for punishment! Yes, it certainly seems a lot easier with less civs. As a rank newbie to Civ games (still in my 1st week - never played Civ 1 or 2) I found multiple civs way too overwhelming in all senses of the word. I'd start off OK and then completely lose control part way through because my knowledge of what the rest of them were doing was just too shallow.

So I'm right back down at kindergarten level.

I thrashed the AI when it was only 1 civ, and just beat 2 civs pretty hansomely by 1500 AD - but as my rating is still "Xerxes the Foolish" I clearly have a hell of a lot yet to learn The thing is though, playing at this level there's enough slack to allow me to claw back in front with a change of tactics when I've screwed up or just played poorly. It seems more forgiving of experimenting and applying new insights etc. On the harder settings I'm just scrabbling to survive and just get wiped without learning as much (or it seems that way).

Give my love to Berkshire (I'm a long time Aussia but was brought up in Berkshire).

Comment

It`s not Civ3 hard. It`s Civ2 strategies absolutely not working

Comment

Originally posted by G.A
                        It`s not Civ3 hard. It`s Civ2 strategies absolutely not working
                        Too right! Played civ 2 on diety, civ 3 kicked my butt until I learned some new strategies.

Lunde, just give it some time and read the strategy posts. I found many helpful hints there.
                        Vikings rule.

Comment

Working...
                        X