WANTED: Large (140x140) Earth map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: Large (140x140) Earth map

Howdy. I'm looking for a large-sized (140x140) Earth map, similar to the high-quality ones that are currently in circulation, but a tad smaller. The only maps around now seem to be huge, and while playing 16 civs on a huge map is quite cool, the game slows down to a c-r-a-w-l in later stages. Popular opinion is that the slowdown is caused by recalculation of the trade network/national boundaries/etc. for several hundred cities on a huge map. Perhaps later games will move a bit faster if the available space is limited just a bit.

So, if any intrepid mappers are searching for a project, my request is: a 140x140 Earth map, accurate with geography and resources (with the exception of a slightly larger England, as I don't want to handicap them by severely limiting their initial room - this convention has been adopted in most maps already.) Also, the bottom-most row should be tundra (simulating Antarctica) - this is needed to change starting locations so as to make them accurate (read the SaveGame Tool thread in the Files forum.)

I really want a large Earth map, and am willing to throw a few dollars at anyone who makes one. My maps always seem sucky to me, and while I also enjoy playing on random worlds, the ability to play on my home planet (with accurate starting locations) is very enjoyable.

Alright...get to work.

140x140 is a nice size but you will loose a lot in game play by reducing the size.. Europe become very small and from a realist point of view that is unbearable... what I suggest is you take one of the large maps and just cut back the civs to 8 or 10 and try it... it's easy to do.. just go into the editor and click on the scenario properties and set the civs to a smaller amount. Should keep the same map but cut back on civs... while this won't solve your problem exactly it will make game play a lot longer and hopefully you can rule the world before any probs take over...

I personally love the huge maps and may dabble in the smaller maps, but not in ones that I think won't turn out as well as they could... suggestion! Give mapmaking a try... it's not bad and if you do good work then the world praises you... if not... at least you have the map you want

Comment

Take it from Omnigod, he speaks from experience...vast experience.

Ooops, Omnigod, now I made you sound old.
      Yours in gaming,
      ~Luc

Comment

You following me El And old... yeah dang nabbit... respect your elders... hehe.

Comment

Me follow you...what ever could you mean?
          Yours in gaming,
          ~Luc

Comment

I guess I'll have to try to make my own map then. Perhaps I can create something and then post it for review and revision. I'll make Europe a little bit oversized - enough so as not to severely handicap players starting there.

While I understand your points about playing on larger or smaller maps, I have something specific I wish to test. I want to see if at what map size a city-filled world with all civs becomes nearly unplayable due to the long wait time between turns. My system is pretty good (dual P3-700s, 256 RAM, GeForce DDR, Win2k), but wait times in the Industrial era, huge map and 16 civs, is 1 - 2 minutes. General opinion is this is caused by recalculations performed whenever a change is made somewhere in the massive network of cities - a trade route is created or lost, or boundaries have to be readjusted. A slightly smaller map (i.e. large) would have somewhat fewer cities, so the wait time bewteen turns should be shorter. I want to test this and see if it is so.

I could (and probably will) just play on a random large map, but playing on Earth, with accurate starting locations, is my preferred way to play (actually, this way vs. random map - 50/50, so not preferred, but very important.) And, since many others like playing on Earth maps, with accurate starting locations, and 16 civs, my investigation may benefit others as well. I was just hoping to dodge the map-making effort by recruiting an eager cartographer, but luck is not with me, it seems.

Of course, now that the patch's near-completion has been announced, I may postpone my efforts until I see what new editing tools have been unleashed.

Thanks for the info, Omni and Elucidus.

Comment

I am currently making a 100 x 100 map for the reasons you stated ... I want a map that plays a faster game. You can see my screen shots of the progress so far at:

Zeb Fisher

Comment

Working...
              X