air superiority :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air superiority :(

sorry if enough people have complained about this, but it REALLY sucks! how can i defend myself against hordes of bombers that destroy ALL of my tile improvements? and then watch my bombers fall one by one from their fighters. IT'S NOT FAIR!

i don't care how they possibly managed to miss this one, i just hope it gets fixed fast. this is far worse than the extraordiary times between turns on big maps, because this makes the game nearly unplayable on maps of ALL sizes.

is it possible to take the air units out of the game, for now?
    Last edited by dexter4dxm; November 25, 2001, 15:17.
    Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Originally posted by dexter4dxm
    sorry if enough people have complained about this, but it REALLY sucks! how can i defend myself against hordes of bombers that destroy ALL of my tile improvements? and then watch my bombers fall one by one from their fighters. IT'S NOT FAIR!
    Wait until enough enemy bombers have been shoot down by your own air-superiority ordered fighters, and THEN attack with your own bombers, concentrating on few vital targets only (mostly strategic resources and productive mines). Bombing cities with bombers and artillery is less wortwhile, according to my experience. Instead concentrate on surrounding tile-improvements, undefended by enemy combat-units/fortresses = much higher & faster success-rate. Also, dont forget the powerful cruise missile!. It can be dragged to the very egde of your borders - then launced 2 tiles further into enemy territory. And those enemy- fighters cant intercept them either. Very effective in softening up those pesky mech.infantry units, for example.

Also, always build roads, railroads, mines and fortresses on top of all your important strategic resources near any foreign borders, and some on top of your most productive tiles as well - with high-defensive units in them, obviously. Finally, remember that the fighter is somewhat cheaper (80 shields) then the bomber (100 sheilds), so if the aggressor over-emphazise ground-attacking aircraft, with not enough fighter air-superiority, hes gonna loose out when you counter-strike. Hitler had to learn that lesson the hard way, by the way.

i don't care how they possibly managed to miss this one, i just hope it gets fixed fast.
    Is not about getting it fixed.
    Its about changing old sleepwalk Civ-2 strategies, and learn to play this new game in new ways.
    Last edited by Ralf; November 25, 2001, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
      Is not about getting it fixed.
      Its about changing old sleepwalk Civ-2 strategies, and learn to play this new game in new ways.
      it IS about getting it fixed. it's a known bug in the game. Air Superiority missions made by the player DON'T work.

Comment

Wait a minute ... the computer plays by different rules?
        Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

Yes, the computer has the ability to use Air superiority, while the human can select it, but it does nothing. An alternative to the Air superiority is to research flight twenty turns ahead of the AI, and fight them when they can't fight back .
          "It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver" - Jean de La Fontaine

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
            Wait until enough enemy bombers have been shoot down by your own air-superiority ordered fighters
            Are you saying Air-Superiority works for you?!?! Has any of your fighters really shot down incoming enemy bombers?

Comment

I have never shoot down an enemy bomber with a fighter on air superiority.
              I end up having to build sam batteries in all my border cities as the only viable defence. It works about 50% of the time. However I did have the following message once.
              "Enemy bomber destroys Sam missile battery in Grenoble." I can only assume the wreckage fell on it.
              It does need fixing.
              There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

i managed to take out air units from the game by using the editor and making it so no one but the barbarians can build them (which i doubt they could build anyways. besides, the map is always filled by the time flight is reached.) i haven't tested it yet, but i think playing this game without air units takes lots of fun out of the game, and i have decided to just wait for the patch.

Comment

IMHO it the most annoying bug in the game,so i decided not to start a new game untill the patch will come out...

Comment

Originally posted by 0 Innocence
                    Are you saying Air-Superiority works for you?!?! Has any of your fighters really shot down incoming enemy bombers?
                    Oops! How embarrassing. Come to think of it - I have actally never vitness any of my air-superiority ordered fighters intercept any enemy-bombers. I wonder why I didnt react on that, then I played the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X