Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade-suggestions for the game-editor. Please, add your own ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm...

Two tiers of improvements would be nice. The first is with respect to creating specific historical scenarios, the second with respect to creating general modifications of rulesets and maps

Tier I

1) Full city creation and editing capabilities. This will, of course, be very difficult to implement b/c of cultural concerns -- map creators would have to set ages of all culturally important improvements.

2) Full unit creation/editing capabilities.

3) Ability to set attitudes of leaders towards each other.

4) Turn scaling. Again, culture will introduce some difficulties.

Basically, I'd like to see a whole bunch of features from the cheat menu here to help create more interesting premade scenarios. The "Scenarios" as shipped seem to be more full-game mods than defined mini-games.

Tier II

1) Defined Civ start positions.

2) Easier addition of units, and wonders, easier rearrangement of tech tree.

3) Dispersal control on resources. As the game stands now you can control the number of resources that appear but not their distribution on the map. As a result I've often ended up with maps that have giant seams of coal on one continent and none anywhere else. It would be nice to have a simple number you could enter for each resource that serves as an average (or alternately a minimum) radius between squares holding that resource.

4) Civ2 map import. This of course poses its own problems, due to the necessity of repositioning rivers and modifying some terrain types. However, these are not insurmountable; a simple algorithm could wipe all resources and goody huts, convert swamp to jungle, glacier to tundra, and give forests the an underlying terrain based on that of bordering squares. The rivers would be the biggest problem, but adding them back in isn't nearly as bad as remaking a whole map. Resources could then be redistributed by Civ3 algorithms.

I'm of course interested in all of this b/c I had a nice Civ2 map of the eastern US including Canada and Mexico that was perfect for a US Civil War mod. It would be even better in Civ3 (think of the Heroes!)

That's all I can think of for now.

Comment

This is minor, but the ability to require a wonder to build a given unit or city improvement would be nice.

For an example, special units could be unlocked by the war academy, or television stations could be city improvements (producing culture) once you've built a hollywood small wonder.

Also, in the hacked editor you can already assign certain improvements to one government only. Those improvements should cease to function (or exist possibly) if the government changes. For example if you have a "Forum" small wonder for a republic, its bonuses (aside from maybe culture) should stop if you switch to communism :P

Comment

Working...
      X