Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, someone! I keep losing more fonts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, someone! I keep losing more fonts!

I've had the much-discussed font problem since installing Civ3 (i.e., text too widely spaced, appearing outside its frame or jumbled on top of other text, etc. etc.). I've read extensively in the threads here, and was particularly helped by dv8ed's 10/31/01 solution in this thread. I moved more than 500 fonts, till I had just less than 256 -- and lo & behold, problem solved!

Temporarily. A day or so later, same problem again. Moved a couple more fonts: fine, it worked. Temporarily. Moved more fonts: OK temporarily... So every couple of days I have to delete another font or two, and I'm now really getting down to the bare minimum I can survive on -- 237 and falling! (Being in the typesetting business, this is really cramping my style!)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Anyone have any idea why it should work for a while then require more fonts to be deleted? I've tried restoring fonts then rebooting and deleting them -- in case it's just the fact of deleting fonts that does it -- but no, there has to be a genuine reduction every time.

This really puzzles me. I mean, if it works with a certain number of fonts once, why not the next time? It's not as if I'm installing new stuff or making any extra demands on memory. I play without any startup items and with all TSR's off.

Any suggestions will be very welcome! (Can only hope the promised patch does put this right!)
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Ah... hello, hello? Anyone there?

I thought this was the "Help" forum? This problem may not be the most 'fascinating' or 'stimulating' one around, but it is quite a serious one as far as I'm concerned!

Can anyone be bothered to make a helpful comment or two, even if only to commiserate??
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Could you please describe the problem once again?

Thanks!
      Rasbey
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
      X