No announcement yet.

Help me run civ3 on my crappy computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me run civ3 on my crappy computer.

My computer has a 233mhz processor, 32 mb ram and an old monitor. all below or at minimum specs. i don't know my cdrom speed. how do i find that out.?
    civ3 won't run at the moment.

any advice on getting it to run on this computer.

I thought maybe it was a resolution problem so i was going to change the default resolution by changing the civilization3.ini file but since it has never run this file doesn't exist. would it help for someone to send me that file and i copy it to my civ3 folder and change it?

I think that if i fool around with things enough i should be able to at least get the game to start even if it is incredibly slow.
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

oh yeah this is what happens when i try and run civ3.

this screen comes up stays there for about 10 seconds then it goes back to my desktop and thats it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Help me run civ3 on my crappy computer.

Originally posted by Makeo
      My computer has a 233mhz processor, 32 mb ram and an old monitor. all below or at minimum specs. i don't know my cdrom speed. how do i find that out.?
      civ3 won't run at the moment.
      Seems to me you are asking for troubles, if you try the impossible

any advice on getting it to run on this computer.
      Not really, but you should tell us more info:
      - current OS running (Win 98/ 98SE / ME ?)
      - free HD space, at least of your system partition (where Win manage the swap file)
      - current resolution and refresh rate and max available by your monitor and graphic card (take a look at "screen properties").

I think that if i fool around with things enough i should be able to at least get the game to start even if it is incredibly slow.
      Not sure. I think you are under the minimum required to start the game at all. IMHO, a CPU below the sys req can let you start and run slow, but a memory shortage (both on RAM or HD free for swap and temp) can really be a stopper.
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I assume you should just simply get a new PC or try to upgrade your current one. Of course buying a used one is a good option too, if you're short of cash.

Rasbey
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

makeo..shell out 30$ for more ram..... i run civ3 on a P2 266 with alot of ram.....even if it is ancient 66mhz ram....i have 216megs and it works fine for me 32megs is your min requirement to run the game...you still need more ram to run your computer
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I found a solution but you won't like it...

I bought a newer monitor to go with my PC box I bought a couple of weeks back. That was the only way I could get this game working. i'm a huge a Civ fan and was itching to play it so I paid out the money for a better monitor.

I was using default monitor drivers in windows 2k and Civ3 doesn't like those. Talk about a headache or what trying to find the drivers for my old monitor. Couldn't find them after 3 hours of looking all over the net.

Just buy a newer PC mate!!!!

It'll save you the bother of trying to get all the new games and apps working.

Comment

unfortunately i have to pay rent rather than buy a new computer. i did have the cash a week ago but i bought new ski's instead.

i'll probably try that war, thanks

Comment

Makeo, why not apply for a loan from your bank with these reasons?

"I need cash urgently for buying a new PC so that I could play my favourite game, Civilization III. I need the game, because I can't live without it. If I can't play it every day, my doctor has told me that I will not live longer than one single week."

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                X