Have mercy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have mercy

First of all I just want to point out that what follows is not whining or complaining about Civ3. In fact I am hopelessly addicted to this wonderful game!

Today I screamed bloody murder at the top of my lungs to my computer screen. I'm currently playing a game as the Germans on Monarch level. I am, as usual, way behind on the tech tree and the Russians are starting to close in on my borders threatening my expansion. I was doing reasonably well in despostism using Vel's expansion strategy which is awesome by the way. This is the first game where I was actually doing better than all my previous games.

Now the reason for my screaming at my computer. I had just placed two new cities down on the map. One was located next to some iron and the other was placed to begin blocking the Russians from boxing me in. I thought cool things are starting to go a little better. Then my military advisor tells me of a massive uprising near the cities I just created. I thought no big deal, they'll split their forces against one of my cities and one of the Russians'. No dice. All barbarians attacked me. They reduced Cologne from a 5 pop city to 1 and then drained my hard earned gold. Cologne was defended by two veteren spearmen and they managed to kill about 8 barbs before they fell to the onslaught. Now my treasury has a measley 76 gold in it and I've lost a lot of time in an attempt to create border cities to stop the Russian expansion. After my screaming fit I sank into depression. Will there ever be a day that I'll win this blasted game? I won't give up on monarch level and I tip my hat to Sid et al for causing many sleepless nights with a great game!

Keep up the strategy discussions they are really starting to help me.

One side note is that Virtual memory allocation definately helped reduce wait time between turns for me. I adjusted my computers virtual memory settings from min/max = 384 to min/max = 512. I'm gonna try min/max = 1024 tonight and see what that does.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.
Working...
X