Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bink files don't work

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody has/had the same problem and knows a way how to fix it:

When I start Civ3 it crashes because it can't play the intro movie. I renamed it so I can play Civ3, that's not the issue, but I'd like it to work anyway.

I tried the trick from Activisions support page and copied the binkw32.dll (or something) over the original in the Civ3 dir, but that didn't work.
    Then I downloaded the Bink and Smacker tool, but that one crashes as well.

I have an AMD 1.4GHz, Win2K and an ATI Rage 128 Pro graphics card.

Greetz,
    Stefan.
    The moment we discover intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God...
    The moment we discover intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...

I have the same problem .I'm not able to resolve it.If you know something about this question please write me at the addresse: bhccse@tin.it

Comment

well, out the goddamned into movie back in, then!
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Re: Bink files don't work

Originally posted by StratAll

I have an AMD 1.4GHz, Win2K and an ATI Rage 128 Pro graphics card.
        Update your drivers. Thats a buggy card you have even with the latest drivers. The hardware itself is glitchy and the drivers have to work around the problems.

AMD motherboards often require drivers as well and the ATI cards are pretty insistent on have the latest ones. Without knowing your specific motherboard I can't be sure on this one.

ATI driver page

Rage 128 PRO driver for Win2K October 22, 2001

Most graphic problems are driver issues. However there is a specific Bink problem mentioned in the readme but ONLY Win2K has the issue with it.

From the readme

* If you experience movie performance problems on Windows 2000, replace the binkw32.dll in the folder you installed Civilization III into with the binkw32.dll located on the CD in the \Bink\Win2k folder.

Also you might be better off if you uninstall the Bink and smacker tools. They messed up Civ III for me in Windows XP.

Another thing you should do with Win2K that is not Bink related that is in the Readme (do read the Readme's).

* On Windows 2000, if you experience any problems with fonts or text, make sure to download and install the latest service pack available for this operating system. You can find the latest service pack at www.microsoft.com.

Make sure you don't have a Lucinda Sans font installed. There is one version that is incompatible with Civ III.

If you are using Direct X8.0 upgrade to 8.1 its more stable.

Comment

i've read all the threads in a lot of discussion groups bothering with the error to get signal out of range after seeing the intro. the game actually runs, i can hear the music. i did the following:

- i updated ALL drivers (latest detonator, mainboard drivers, w2k sp3, etc)
          - i replaced the binkw32.dll
          - i manually set refresh=60 in the ini

it doesn't help. there has to be a different solution.
          my equipment is: AMD Thunderbird 750, ASUS A7V, ASUS GF2MX, W2K. all people i know having that problem own an amd.

Comment

Working...
          X