Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for Safedisc victim

Hi,

After reading the help files, the troubleshooting guide on their website, and calling tech support, I've found out that I am a victim of that bleeping copy protection program Safedisc. I'm gettin a crash every time I try to start the game, and have yet to see the opening menu. Now, I read that some people have been able to get un-safed versions at gamecopy world. The problem is, that I have downloaded these programs, put them in my game directory, and they *still* don't work. I'm sooo frustrated right now that I'm thinking of how I could use the game disc as a coaster. Could someone please tell me how to get these programs to work, or what else I can do? Keep in mind that I'm not exactly the world's greatest computer expert.

would appreciate greatly any help, thanks

I had the same problem (with a review copy, no less!) and had to go to gamecopyworld.

The cracked file there is a .ace archive. It's like a zip file but a different format. You need to extract the file civ3.exe and overwrite the existing file (back it up first though!)

To do this you need a program that can read .ace files. I used WinAce which you can find at www.download.com or other good sites.

Bear in mind that once you've replaced your version of civ3.exe you won't be able to apply any future patches or upgrades until you restore your original file (which is why you should back it up before overwriting). If they don't fix this problem in the first patch, you'll then have to go back to gamecopyworld and get a cracked .exe for the new patched version, and so on. Hopefully they will fix this problem that is causing many systems to not recognise the disk.

Best of luck.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel...I have a computer that is unable to get past SD2 on any game and I can't get the unsafedisc stuff to work either. BTW, what Operating system are you running on your computer? I can get it to run on a computer with Win98SE but can't on a computer with just Win98.

Comment

Hey, thanks for replying.

I went and got WinAce, and replaced the civlization3.exe program with that, and it still won't start. I'm using just plain old Windows 98. I did have a question about the .ace file, though. Afted it is unpacked, is it necesary to put it and the other civ files on another disc? The problem is that I don't have a cd burner. I even tried copying the files from the CD onto my HD in the civ directory and using the nocd version, with no results. Needless to say, the irony doesn't escape me. Want to play a highly anticipated game? Ok, here you go, oh by the way it's invisible to your computer.

Well, guess I'll keep on trying, and let you know if I can fix this problem. If not, back it goes in a week or so.

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by madcow23
          I had the same problem (with a review copy, no less!) and had to go to gamecopyworld.
          No joy at any of those sites.

Where did you find it?
          'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
          For thou art crunchy
          And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

If you go to www.gamecopyworld.com and look under the game index you will find 3 different d/l's to choose from for Civ3.

Comment

MichelG, not sure quite what you're up to, but the following should work.

1. Install Civ3 as normal.
              2. Go to the folder where you've installed Civ3 and rename your civ3.exe file as "backup of civ3.exe".
              3. Download and install WinACE.
              4. Download the civ3.ace package from gamecopyworld.
              5. Double-click civ3.ace to open this using WinACE.
              6. Extract the single file civ3.exe from this package and put it into your Civilization 3 folder (where you renamed the file in step 2).
              7. Play the game...

... hope this helps.

Comment

Here's what I've been doing:

-Un- and re-installing Civ on my computer. After I do this, when I start it, the logo comes up, then it crashes back to the desktop

-I have already downloaded WinAce at this point

- rename the original civ3.exe file

-unextract the civ3.ace file, and move it into my game directory. I am using the unsafedisc version from gamecopy.world

- try to restart the game, by using the desktop shortcut, the .exe file in the directory, or by the autorun program.

Here's the strange part. After I do this, when I try to restart the civ program, I don't even get the logo to come up, and my cd-rom drive doesn't spin. My hard drive runs for maybe 3 seconds, then stops.

This has happened every time I have reinstalled civ, and extracted both of the .ace files from gamecopyworld. I can't get the logo to come up until I fully reinstall the game.

In short, even with the files from that site, I can't get the game to start.

I emailed infogrames tech support a not very pleasant letter describing my problem, and asked whether the problem would be addressed in any upcoming patch. My computer manufacturer already gave me a few things to try, none of which worked.

I would already have booted the game if I didn't want to play it so much. Sigh.

Comment

wow lots of problems !! have you tried buying the game and installing that !~~~~
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Rasputin,
                    MichelG has bought the game, but like myself and many others the computer cannot get past the copy protection put on to discourage pirating. It seems to work a little to well when legimate owners of the game can't get it to run due to the CP though.

Comment

Same problem

The fixes might not work because of localized version. I am an Aussie therefore the Asia/Pacific version miight not be compatable. This better be fixed

BTW: This file is created in my temp dir, when I 'play'
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, I managed to fix my problem in running Civ3, but at a costly solution (financially and morally).

In another recent thread (Game doesn't recognize the Cd in the drive--I dont know how to link a thread, sorry) Ignis Fatuus suggests that the problem might come from the Win 98 drivers. So I went and put more money into the coffers of the Bill- I got the newest windows upgrade. Lo and behold, the game will load now.

Needless to say, I'm both happy and p'ed off. How come microsmarty pants doesn't have any fix for drivers other than shelling out for a new version? How could something this serious be overlooked in beta testing?

It really ticks me off too that I'm practically forced to upgrade to avoid the safedisc compatability problem not just for civ, but for anything else that might use safedisc. I guess its karma for getting the game for sale at Best Buy.

Oh well, I wish all of you fellow Safedisc sufferers a quick resolution.

Comment

Congrats, you got it to work

As for me, I've had no luck. I have windows 95 version C. What windows did you upgrade to too get it to work?

Comment

Working...
                          X