Resource questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource questions

1) Is the appearance ratio only relevant for seeding resources on a map? Does it have any bearing on discovering new sources of a resource? Are strategic resources the only ones that new sources can be found for, or does this apply to luxury and standard resources as well? Can I stumble upon a great new fishing spot?

2) How does the disappearance probability work? The higher the number, the greater the chance of depleting a resource, I assume, but how does that translate into real world numbers? Iron has an 800 disappearance probability - what, mathematically, does that mean?

The two questions go together, because I'd like to make certain bonus and luxury resources (whales, fur, etc.) be depletable, as this would be realistic and add an extra element to gameplay. However, if they can be depleted, I want to know if new sources can be found as well.

Thanks. Great game, Firaxis, and great work with the mods, my fellow Civvers.

On a few occasions I have seen Iron pop up, so they can definately randomly appear.
    www.geocities.com/drathx
    Some 3d models and art work I've done.

Comment

As I understand it, everytime a resource disappears it reappears somewhere else on the map. I believe the ratio only determines how much is there to begin with. I also believe the disappearance ratio determines when a resource moves not truely disappears. So you always have the same amount of resources on the map at any given time. The number of civs and maybe even map size may have something to do with the number of resources found, as well. Can anyone confirm this?
      Yours in gaming,
      ~Luc

Comment

That's all correct, Elucidus.

Try the Help button in the editor and click on the disappearance box.

The number means what the chances of that resource moving is every turn. So a 400 number means there is a 1 in 400 chance of the resource moving each and every turn.

A 1 rating _should_ mean it moves every single turn and 0 means no disappearance.
        Better to be wise for a second than stupid for an entire lifetime.

Creator of the LWC Mod for Civ3.

Comment

Thank you very much for the insight, guys. I now know what I need to progress with my revisions.

Comment

Twice in one game:

"Sire! Our source of Iron has been exhausted! Sire! We have found a new source of Iron!"

(The resource moved 1 square each time)

Comment

Working...
            X