Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or is a large empire unplayable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me, or is a large empire unplayable?

Around 1600 A.D., I started getting problems -- Playing on the Huge earth map, been a Democracy forever, doesn't seem to matter -- any city far from my original continent produces now only one shield. The rest are all red from waste / corruption. This is even with all Courthouses, etc. Is it just me, or is the game design broken when it comes to Corruption and a spread-out empire? I know it should be hard, but this is impossible. The only way to build anything is to Hurry Production. Unusable. I've got to quit this game which I've spent a week playing now!
    I've installed one of the Balancer mods to try to fix the corruption, that obviously doesn't do a thing. Is there anyway to hack my save file to make it possible to proceed?
    Does anyone else have this prob? Any comment, FIRAXIS?
    Thanks, phil

Try editing the scenario, particularly the world size (I think increasing the number of cities will decrease the corruption rate). Also, modify some of the city improvements--I have my temples, cathedrals, collesiums, police station, and barracks have the ability to reduce corruption. You can have other structures (all of the them if you like) have the ability to reduce corruption as well.

Comment

Corruption is intended to limit large empires and especially cities far from your capitol. Sounds like everything is working fine in your game. You don't need produce new units in your conquered cities to proceed with a military win.

Not a bug.
      eof

Comment

I have change the optimal number of cities from 32 to 200. Nice result.

Comment

would not the AI benefit - to your detriment - from those changes?

bone
          Bone

Comment

Originally posted by Vasiliy
            I have change the optimal number of cities from 32 to 200. Nice result.
            So, _where_ can I set this # of cities up to 200?

Just in the "scenario" map editor?

This wouldn't help me with my saved game, right?

Or is there any possibility to change it just in a game file to take it to affect runnig games?

Comment

I'm going to try changing the max cities in the editor. I hope that works. I mean, o.k. maybe corruptions' supposed to be high but I just like a lot of cities. When i get to the far end of the continent, war or not I can't build anything because 19 out of 20 shields are wasted. It takes forever to just build improvements like temples and marketplaces. At that point courthouses don't seem to have any effect and I'm not sure that making temples, barracks, etc. reduce corruption, are accumulative. Even the Forbidden City only affects a very small area. What if I want to build cities on a small unclaimed continent some distance away? The thing is it never changes. I could live with say, half of everything going to waste. But sheesh!

Err.. Sorry for running on like that. Corruption's cramping my style.
              Last edited by TreeWolf; November 18, 2001, 21:58.

Comment

Huh...

Originally posted by Growler
                Corruption is intended to limit large empires and especially cities far from your capitol. Sounds like everything is working fine in your game. You don't need produce new units in your conquered cities to proceed with a military win.
                Not a bug.
                I'm sure it's not a "bug", Growler, it's just funny that these towns I founded a thousand or so years ago and have been under my benevolent democracy since suddenly become corrupt with modernity. These cities are not military bases, I had to go far away from my core because I had been surrounded by 14 uberaggressive mad-settling AI players. I also wonder if the game is set up to take into account railroads and better communications allowing for effective large empires. My prediction is no one find out since it's impossible to proceed.

As to hacking, I poke around in the (backed-up) copy of civmod.bic? Does this help my save game, or should I just write that off and start a new one?

Thanx...

Comment

Sebastian and Wvejumper, I think it will affect your save game. I tried it and corruption was still there but manageable. Don't know if it messes something up down the line, though.
                  Last edited by TreeWolf; November 19, 2001, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian

So, _where_ can I set this # of cities up to 200?

Just in the "scenario" map editor?

This wouldn't help me with my saved game, right?

Or is there any possibility to change it just in a game file to take it to affect runnig games?
                    If you edit the civ3mod.bic file, which you started your current game under (most likely) it will affect in without starting a new game.

Comment

Working...
                    X