Considering changing stats to fix 'Small Number Syndrome'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering changing stats to fix 'Small Number Syndrome'

Trachnyr mentioned here one of the problems with the unit balancing in Civ3, 'Small Number Syndrome'. Simply put, this is the problem you have when you start your weakest units with the smallest measurable power, i.e. the Warrior being 1/1/1. The problem is that you can't make a unit more powerful than the Warrior without making it twice as powerful, which can lead to weird balance issues.

I've decided to go in and multiply the attack and defense of every unit by 5 or 10 (haven't decided exactly how much yet) so I can make some of the units closer in power without overdoing it. This way, if I decide that the Hoplite is too much more powerful as a defender than the Spearman, I can make the Spearman have a 20 defense and the Hoplite have a 25.

I was curious as to whether anyone else has tried doing this, and if I might run into some problems. As I understand the game mechanics unit strength is all relative so if everything is multiplied by the same amount it shouldn't cause a problem, but might there be issues with bombardment, since it does damage to more than just other units? I don't want multiplying every unit's strength by 10 to result in catapults still doing the same damage to other units but destroying improvements far more efficiently than before. I'm also concerned about upper limits to the attack power of a unit, and whether this may cause problems with the AI.

I'm not going to get a chance to mess with it for at least 8 hours, and possibly for the whole weekend, so I was hoping some other modders might give this a try and we can all benefit from what they've discovered. I think approaching balance this way could possibly make game balance a lot easier and more realistic.

(Already done it... multiply the base by 10, makes it easier)

One thing to watch out for... Since you WILL need to change bombardment strength by the same amount, make sure you change the bombardment defence values of Population and Buildings by the same factor. Those numbers are available under the GENERAL TAB.

Comment

Cool, I couldn't remember whether you could change the defense value of buildings and other structures. That was the main thing I was worrying about.

Comment

Working...
      X