what the? data3.cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the? data3.cab?

i am still in disbelief that civ3 won't install but my dilemma. when installing the game it stops at between 69-72% and asks me to 'insert disk 0 that contains the file data3.cab', and since i don't have that file i can't go on with installation and it aborts. it always stops when the file '\sounds\build\ancient\ancgra.wav' is being installed or attemped to being installed. my friend who had the same type of problem said it was a windows error, and not civ3. he told me to reboot and it'd be fine(because that worked for him). so i did that and again the same error this time at 72% again(on a warm boot). next i tried a cold boot, same error pops up but this time at 69%.

now, i am a reasonable person, but never in my 10+ years of pc gaming have i ever had trouble installing a game(i've also never heard of such a thing). never! i'm in shock, heh. one thing i can think of is that this could be a byproduct of firaxis/infograme's attempts to incorporate some anti-cd copying technology which has some defect and is stopping me, someone who actually shelled out hard earned money for their game from installing it. yet, that explanation seems too big a mistake for even firaxis/infogrames to make. anyways...

when i tried to play that problomatic sound off the cd it says "file 'd:\sounds\build\ancient\ancgra.wav' has been corrupted and cannot be opened.". since i really wanted to play civ3, i investigated further and found that certain .wav(all mp3s were fine) files in \sounds\build\ancients\ also gave the same error. every other .wav file i tested from other folders played fine, and most other files(even some from the same folder as the bad ones) were able to be copied off the cd without the corrupted/cannot be opened error.

i also have zero experience working with defective cds so i don't know if these are the signs of a bad cd or not. any advice would ease my mind. basically, i am pretty sure i have a defective cd(and will be getting a new one in a few days), but has anyone else experienced this problem? and if so did a new cd help or not? thanks in advance.

750mhz slot-a athlon
    via kx133 mobo
    128mb pc133 sdram
    31gb eide hard drive
    eide cd-rom 56x
    gf1 ddr
    sblive!
    directx 8.1
    win98se
    20+ free gb(more than enough for a swap file)
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

i assume you are trying full install? i had the same problem when i was doing full install, but smaller install worked fine, i just had to tweak the install a bit to make fake full install

searched the web for similar problems,. i suppose it has something to do with your cd drive speed (?)

Comment

yeah, i was trying to do full install. i am going to try minimum right now though. didn't even cross my mind to try small install.

Comment

minimum worked perfectly so far(it's running in the background as i type this). i must say i am baffled that minimum would work and not full. any advice on how to get 'fake full install'(especially considering i can't copy some .wav files over it seems)?

Comment

Working...
        X