Upgrade units bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade units bug?

In a recent game, I had units I wanted to upgrade, but wasn't allowed to, even though I had the appropriate techs and resources. I selected a horseman in the world view (right-clicking city and activating horseman), pressed 'u', and nothing happened. When I hit 'U' (shift-u), I was told by my military advisor "we have no horseman to upgrade." The same occurred with spearmen and pikemen.

What gives? Am I doing something wrong? (Wouldn't surprise me.) Has anyone else encountered this?

The game was a 'scenario', random map (small), and the only thing I changed was to allow 10 civs on a small map. (I lost - Joan of Arc voted UN Sec-Gen'l in 1822 AD). The only other 'error' I noticed was the tech linkage lines on the tech advisor screen were slightly out of whack.

city has to have a barracks
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

the things they diddn't mention in the manual
      what a disgrace, or is it a bug!!!!
      read it!!!!
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't recall seeing it in the manual either....that doesn't mean it isn't in there.

I just used deductive reasoning.I had the same problem kinda.Some cities could upgrade while others couldn't.What was the difference between the cities?..resources?..no..aha..a barracks.I wonder if its the same for boats and harbors?...click..yup.
        This is how a converted macintosh user works.Trial and error ..perfect for games with manuals that raise more questions than answers.....
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I found that I couldn't upgrade my Knights to Cossacks while playing the Russians. I also couldn/t build Cavalry since I was Russian. ANyone else?
          Cannon to the right of them
          Cannon to the left of them
          Cannon in front of them
          Volley'd and thunder'd

Comment

You must have turned off "Civ specific abilities.

But seriously, do you have saltpeter? It`s needed to build cavalry/cossacks

Comment

You cannot upgrade existing units to your Civ-Specific Unit. This isn't a bug, it's a design choice.

Dan
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                the things they diddn't mention in the manual
                what a disgrace, or is it a bug!!!!
                read it!!!!
                I'm pretty sure that the civilopedia entry for barracks says they're required for upgrading. I could be wrong, I don't have the game in front of me. Check the civilopedia before checking the manual; it's more accurate.
                kmj

Comment

Working...
                X