playing mods crash the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing mods crash the game

If I try to play a scenario containing units that have been renamed the game crashes and dumps me back to the desktop. If a starting unit (ie settlers, workers) has been renamed the game crashes as soon as it starts. If another unit like warriors has been renamed the game crashes as soon as I build my first city.

Has anyone else seen this problem? For me it's the same on my tower (Athlon 700, 128meg ram, GeForce 64meg video, running Win2000) and my laptop (PIII 600, 64megs ram, ATI video, running Win98 SE). The only difference is the wording of the error: Win 2k says "Windows encountered an error in Civ3..." while 98 gives an invalid page fault.

BTW I am only attempting to modify the BIC using the ordinary untampered Civ 3 editor in case anyone is wondering and no other rules changes seem to create the problem as far as I can tell. Also, once a BIC is corrupted this way it is forever tainted and generates the errors even if I rename the units to their default names. Grr.

Civ 3 is still awesome though. Thanks Firaxis!

If you rename a unit, you have to change the names of certain files associated with that unit or the game crashes when the unit first appears - the game looks for files with the same name as the unit and can't find them. If you look in the help file for the editor, at the help screen for the "units" tab in the editor, and click on the "rename" button (on the help screen, not on the real editor screen), the window that pops up tells you about this crash and what you have to change to fix it. So, it is documented but not in an easy to find way.

Comment

Working...
    X