MAP: Map of Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAP: Map of Earth

12-6-2001: !!!POSTED NEW VERSION 1.3 !!!
    Now has standard sized map included!!!
    11-25-2001: !!! POSTED NEW VERSION 1.2 !!!
    11-15-2001: !!! POSTED NEW VERSION 1.1 !!!

Hello Everyone,

Here is my custom map of Earth to replace the map that came with the game. It is a 180 x 180 map. You will find that Europe is more formed as well as Asia and the Pacific. I've put resources in their proper positions as well as rivers and terrain types. And, I paid attention to the look and play of the map. Now, if only there were a way to set specific starting loctions for Civs.

Screenshots of huged size map:

Screenshots of standard size map:

Please do not steal my work. If you modify the map for redistribution, please acknowledge me as the original creator.

Enjoy!

Zeb Fisher
    zeb_fisher@yahoo.com

VERSION 1.1 November 15th, 2001
    - Added additional resources, including iron, to all locations of the map.
    - Added a few more major rivers, including the Indus.
    - Fixed rivers that were not completely drawn in like the Danube.
    - Changed some terrain features in Mexico, Canada, Africa, and the Yakutsk region.

VERSION 1.2 November 25th, 2001
    I did a lot of work with resources. I believe now that the map is in its final stage in regards to resources!
    - Fixed Indus river in India to show more of a flood plain
    - Redrew some areas of the map (see France)
    - Adjusted resource counts (see read me)

VERSION 1.3 December 6th, 2001
    - Added standard (100 x 100) sized map!!!!
    - Made some very small terrain changes to huge map
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zeb_Fisher; December 7, 2001, 17:42.

Looks like the best earth-map available yet - will be a joy to play!

Peace!
    -- Roland

Comment

180 X 180, how big is that?

Comment

Good work on the map, one comment is that Africa looks a bit too big and europe looks quite small.

Well done though.

Comment

Where's the beef/iron???

Love the map, don't get me wrong! I usually play around with these things, but I've been bogged down trying to develop my strategy, ie. playing many games...just one more turn...

Anyway, I love the map, a few things I'd like to see though...

Can this map be expanded any and how hard is that to do?

There appear to be compression zones (invisible lines where the geographic proportions have been compressed) running vertically through the Andes in the west, and vertically through the Ukrain in the East, and finally along horizontal lines through southern France and the Sudan. If possible, I'd like to see this map expanded maybe three to five grid points along said compression zones.

Also, where's the iron in Africa, and the middle east, let alone Russia!

IMHO, I don't see enough resources...

Again, maybe this is a minor thing for many of you....

Like I said, I loved the map, best to date, but I'd like to see it expanded along the invisible compression zones and spiced up just a little more with resources.
          "They faught like warrior poets."
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
          "Let the ends justify the means."
          "Social Justice"

Comment

NO ANTARCTICA AGAIN *sic*

I know that I can take up this map and add it, but nobody remembers our 6th continent? It could be interesting with amounts of rare resources like uranium and aluminium.
            Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

I am no good at making civ3 maps, but I know what should be on them, and obviously yours is amazing (so much better than the original). But, I love playing the Indians, and they are done a great disservice by not including the flood plains of the Indus river. The indus river valley was afterall one of the centers of civilization in the ancient world!

Quixote

Comment

Originally posted by XarXo
                NO ANTARCTICA AGAIN *sic*

I know that I can take up this map and add it, but nobody remembers our 6th continent? It could be interesting with amounts of rare resources like uranium and aluminium.
                I left Antartica out on purpose. The AI builds cities everywhere and I didn't think it helps game play to have 30 cities spread across Antartica.

Zeb

Comment

Originally posted by Don K Hotay
                  I am no good at making civ3 maps, but I know what should be on them, and obviously yours is amazing (so much better than the original). But, I love playing the Indians, and they are done a great disservice by not including the flood plains of the Indus river. The indus river valley was afterall one of the centers of civilization in the ancient world!

Quixote
                  Good suggestion! I think it will actually help the map to have that in, as it will provide a possible irrigation point for Persia as well.

I'll put it in for the next version... Thanks!

Zeb

Comment

Re: Where's the beef/iron???

Originally posted by WarKing

Also, where's the iron in Africa, and the middle east, let alone Russia!

IMHO, I don't see enough resources...

If I remember my history right, Europe's biggest advantage over the middle east came during the discovery of iron. The middle east had none and European weapons became superior. Even today, I may be wrong, we trade iron for oil.

There is some iron in Africa on the west coast and in the south. Should I put more?

Zeb

Comment

The Middle East had plenty of Iron, though not as much as, say, Spain or Sweden. In fact, iron working is largely believed to have been discovered in the Caucasus (as well as in China). I don't know where the exact sources are, but the Caucasus, Persian mountains, and Turkey should have some.

Damascene steel is still considered the finest weapons-grade steel ever made.

However, Iron is pretty much ubiquitous worldwide, with some exceptions. If the Iron resource squares represent only the richest deposits, I'm not really sure where they should go. Spain, Sweden, probably Australia, Russia, China, and the Caucasus, maybe. Don't know about the Americas, since the Aztecs and Incas never figured out how to use it.

Good move with Antarctica. Hadn't though of the AI expansion. Resource outposts there in the BCs would be silly - and you know it would happen. Still, putting resources on the polar edge that most maps have to represent Antarctica would work, probably. The AI somehow knows not to put cities there. (though that might change if resources were present).

If only you could put oil at sea....

Comment

Originally posted by Gaius Marius
                        The Middle East had plenty of Iron, though not as much as, say, Spain or Sweden. In fact, iron working is largely believed to have been discovered in the Caucasus (as well as in China). I don't know where the exact sources are, but the Caucasus, Persian mountains, and Turkey should have some.
                        The area with no iron is mainly North Africa through Iran/Persia.

I can see some places where I should add more. For example, at the beginning of the Nile in Ethiopia there should be some.

I'll add more in version 1.1 ...

I am only trying to show the major iron deposits (i have a map that shows them). My intent is make a civ act either through war or trade to gain resources. One could argue that silk and spices are available everywhere as well.

I'll have version 1.1 posted before the weekend...

Zeb

Comment

Plumbean

Great job Zeb thanks to people like you Civ III is off to a great start Thanks
                          John Plavchan

Comment

I've been playing the map (version 1.1) and spending time really looking at how resources are played out. I'm noticing that their isn't much trading going on.

In the inteview with Soren from Fireaxis, he says that tradable resources are generally generated with two per civilization. I've counted the resources across the map and have come up with the following:

I'm going to spend more time on resources and will post version 1.2 hopefully within a week.

My plan is to give regions more monopolies over resources.

What do you all think?

Zeb

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb_Fisher

I'm going to spend more time on resources and will post version 1.2 hopefully within a week.

My plan is to give regions more monopolies over resources.

What do you all think?

Zeb

Can't wait! Please, just make sure India has flood plains!!

Quixote

bird is the word

Comment

Working...
                              X