Game is way to slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game is way to slow

Why is the time between turns so unbearably wrong? By 1300 im waiting 3 to 5 minutes! between each turn. This is just unacceptable. How can I fix this?

Someone help me out

How do I speed it up? Can it be speed up? Am I the only one with this problem?

Comment

I think the speed depends on a lot of factors, including the OS and CPU speed, graphics card speed and memory, size of the world, number of civs in the game, how much activity is occurring in each civ (moving units around, fighting with other civs, building improvements, improving terrain), etc.

I have a huge world with eight civs, Windows 98, 550 Mhz Pentium III, Nvidia GeoForce 2 Ultra 64 Mb video card, and am at 1906 A.D. The pause between turns now lasts about a minute or so. Yes, waiting is tedious. It's the longest I've ever had to wait between turns, but what can ya do?

Guess I'll just have to shell out the bucks for a 2 Ghz computer and a newer video card. Well, I've had this for almost 2 1/2 years, so it's time for a new one (my sixth).
      StarGazer

Comment

I disagree

Your computer sounds adequate to do a lot more than that, lets face it you aren't rendering a lot of heavy duty graphics, and your CPU and memory seem adequate to do a lot more heavy computing than a game.

I think that there are lots of problems within the program itself, and I mostly blame the testers.

I am more and more thinking that this game is sub-standard. If they really wanted you to have a 1-2 GHZ computer with 1 Gig of ram they should have said it. What are they going to say next, multiplayer only works on CRAYS with fiber optic links.

PissedOff

Comment

Stargazer,

Can you tell me how much Ram you have?

I'm waiting nearly five minutes between turns (with only 4 AI civs).
          I know one minute seems like a lot to you, but I DREAM of only waiting that long!

Also, I started another thread on this before I found this one. Sorry.
          Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius
            Stargazer,

Can you tell me how much Ram you have?

I'm waiting nearly five minutes between turns (with only 4 AI civs).
            I know one minute seems like a lot to you, but I DREAM of only waiting that long!

Also, I started another thread on this before I found this one. Sorry.
            Hi, Falconius,

I have 256 Mb RAM. However, now that I am up to 1955 A.D., I'm having to wait an AGONIZING two to three minutes per turn. This is ridiculous. The wait just keeps getting longer and longer. I doubt that I will play a second game, at least not until I get a 2Ghz computer. It's preposterous to have to wait a total of umpteen HOURS just to play ONE game!

This slow waiting between turns really kills the game, doesn't it.
            StarGazer

Comment

Map size seems to have huuuge effect on the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by StarGazer
                This slow waiting between turns really kills the game, doesn't it.
                Yes, it sure does. Looks like I'll be playing on smaller maps until I can afford a major upgrade. I have 128 MB of Ram now, and doubling that isn't a big deal (Ram is cheap). But jumping to a 2 ghz is a major investment, especially for a game (even if it is CIV).

Looks like I'll be waiting for the high speed machines to become more affordable. Of course by that time, Civ IV will be coming out.
                Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Working...
                X