X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any help ?

I havent seen this covered.
    I didnt look real hard, due to the fact that this thread just has so much.

anyways, I have the MOD going, and as far as I know, everything is correctly placed, but now, my army looks like the worker, and my worker and settler do not appear in the build menu.
    now if I open a city screen, and lookin the garrison, they are not visable, but they are there.
    while they are working in the field, they are visable, and the army looks like an army.

im going to continue to browse the forums, but if nayone has any ideas, please reply.

also, I tried to install the attack helo, and the troop carrier, and it crashed the game, any ideas anyone ?

Comment

• i think i remember reading that if you add new units you need to edit units_32.pcx in the ../art/units/ directory. you need to bump everything after the privateer icon to the right one spot for every new unit. in those new spots you could paste new icons for the new units (or just cut and paste icons from the one you copied from). i think it mentions this in the faq stickied to the top of the creation forum here on apolyton boards. the thread is located here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33937

Comment

• didnt work, I went through that post, and did what he said to do, and now the game is even more unstable

oh well, Im just going to work on it some more, thanks anyways.

Comment

• can I ask why the civilopedia txt file wasnt updated to include some of the additions ?

and how would I go about doing so myself without crashing the game ?(Ive tried, and it did )

Comment

• just a few comments....

first off, let me say this MOD seriously kiks a$$.........
            however, I am getting the crashes from biulding the riech, and as well as another of the new wonders. (cant remember which one)

is anyone working on this MOD anymore ?
            or has it put on the wayside due to incompatabilty problems with the new patch ?

also, I have tried several work arounds for the new pix to show, and not one of them worked and most of them are making the game crash.

well, I hope I see a reply to this post soon, and hopefully more work done to an awsome idea.

Comment

• Ok, two questions, one, is this mod going to change at all now that the new patch is out? And secone, what does this mod have to offer that makes it a better choice that the long winded changes mod? Thanks!
              DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
              EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
              AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

• I havent seen anyone post on this thread since mine a few days ago, and before that, I only had one reply about a problem I was having.

IMO, there isnt anyone doing anything wiht this MOD anymore.

Comment

• inside my Root mod you can find the following readme file (please give me credit if you use this elsewhere)

If they created something from scratch, you will need to copy a similar entry and then modify it for your needs.

oh yeah, and the mod should still work with the new patch, it was just the erroneus editor supplied with the first version of the latest patch that messed up the mods. there is a second version out that works correctly (hell you dont even need the editor to play old mods just run them like normal).

Mizaq's Root Mod
                  v1.8
                  by Mizaq using Gramphos' MultiTool, Microsoft's Notepad/Wordpad, Heed's resource tabs, and Firaxis' editor

mizaq@u.washington.edu

Hi,

I'm Mizaq, and here is my basic mod for the multi-tool challenged. Included in this 1.17f tested bic are the following items:

there are 12 blank Great Wonders - Pyramids (PyramidsB-PyramidsM);
                  there are 12 blank Small Wonders - Heroic Epics (again B-M);
                  there are 12 blank buildings - Temples (B-M);
                  there are 20 blank units - 4 each of 5 different base types
                  there are 8 blank resources - 1 copy of each strategic resource
                  there is 1 new resource - Timber with its own graphic.
                  there are 9 blank citizens - 3 each of Entertainer, Scientist, and Taxman

Extract the files in this zip to your game directory:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  --mizaqroot.bic goes wherever you want, just remember where you put it. --
                  --civilopedia.txt goes in the text\ directory --
                  --pediaicons.txt goes in the text\ directory --
                  --buildings-large.pcx goes in the art\city screen\ directory --
                  --buildings-small.pcx goes in the art\city screen\ directory --
                  --timbersmall.pcx goes in the art\civilopedia\icons\resources\ directory --
                  --timberlarge.pcx goes in the art\civilopedia\icons\resources\ directory --
                  --resources.pcx goes in the art\ directory --
                  --extract the files in mizaqroot_units.zip to the art\units\ directory and execute --
                  -- the batch file named units.bat (instructions are in that zip's readme) --
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------
                  --Wonder Splash info--
                  ----------------------
                  PyramidsB = #WON_SPLASH_74 EpicB = #WON_SPLASH_86 TempleB = #WON_SPLASH_98
                  PyramidsC = #WON_SPLASH_75 EpicC = #WON_SPLASH_87 TempleC = #WON_SPLASH_99
                  ... ... ...
                  PyramidsM = #WON_SPLASH_85 EpicM = #WON_SPLASH_97 TempleM = #WON_SPLASH_109

----------------------
                  --How to mod the mod--
                  ----------------------
                  You "could" leave the names as is and just change what their effects are, but it is really easy to make them use whatever name you want them to use.

*****MODDING BUILDINGS********
                  Let's say you want PyramidsB to be the "Dinosaur Park."

1. Open up THE CORRECT EDITOR FOR 1.17f. The first patch they put out had the wrong editor and it ****s **** up. Make sure you are using the right one (you probably had to download it separately).

2. Go to the Improvements/Wonders tab and scroll down to "The PyramidsB" Then change BLDG_PyramidsB to read BLDG_Dinopark

3. Change the stats to do whatever you it to do.

4. Save and exit the editor.

5. Open up the civilopedia.txt file and look for the follow entry:

#BLDG_PyramidsB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^Puts a $LINK in every city on the same continent.
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^May trigger $LINK for Industrious or Religious
                  civilizations.
                  #DESC_BLDG_PyramidsB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^Built by the fourth dynasty of Egyptian rulers, the Pyramids represent the
                  pinnacle of ancient Egyptian cultural achievement. Constructed on the Giza
                  plateau outside modern-day Cairo, these structures were burial tombs and monuments
                  for the Pharaohs, and may have taken generations and tens of thousands of workers
                  to complete. The Pyramids are the only one of the generally accepted man-made
                  wonders of the ancient world that remains in existence today.

6. Replace #BLDG_PyramidsB with #BLDG_Dinopark and replace #DESC_BLDG_PyramidsB with #DESC_BLDG_Dinopark and edit the text to say what you want it to say.

7. Save and exit civilopedia.txt

8. If you want to change the icon from the Pyramids Icon you need you open up pediaicons.txt and scroll down until you see this section

#ICON_BLDG_PyramidsB
                  SINGLE
                  art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\pyramidlarge.pcx
                  art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\pyramidsmall.pcx

9. Change it to say

#ICON_BLDG_Dinopark
                  SINGLE
                  art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\whatever_icon_you_ want_to_use_large.pcx
                  art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\whatever_icon_you_ want_to_use_small.pcx

NOTE: Every small and great wonder must have a wonder splash

10. If you want to change the wonder splash for PyramidsB you would go to number 74 in pediaicons.txt

#WON_SPLASH_74
                  art\wonder splash\pyramid.pcx

11. Change it to

#WON_SPLASH_74
                  art\wonder splash\whatever_splash_you_want_to_use.pcx

12. Save and exit pediaicons.txt

13. Play the game!

*****MODDING UNITS********

Let's say you wanted to change SettlerB to Pioneer

1. Open up THE CORRECT EDITOR FOR 1.17f. The first patch they put out had the wrong editor and it ****s **** up. Make sure you are using the right one (you probably had to download it separately).

2. Go to the Units tab and scroll down to "SettlerB" Then change PRTO_SettlerB to read PRTO_Pioneer

3. Change the stats to do whatever you it to do.

5. Open up the civilopedia.txt file and look for the follow entry:

#PRTO_SettlerB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^{Building a Settler}: A city that builds a [settler] loses two citizens from its population.
                  ^
                  ^{Founding Cities}: Settlers are used primarily to found new cities. Move the settler to
                  the desired city site, and, when the settler is active in that square, press B.
                  ^
                  ^{Joining a City}: A settler may also be used to increase the population of an existing city; when the
                  settler is active on a city, click the "Join City" button. The settler disappears and the city's
                  population gains two citizens.
                  #DESC_PRTO_SettlerB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^When cities grew to a size where the resources were insufficient to adequately insure a decent standard of
                  living for the populace, adventurous groups of citizens set out on their own in search of a place to build
                  a new city. Once a suitable site was found, the settlers would build their new homes, and develop the land
                  surrounding the city. Eventually the whole process repeated, and the new city would send out settlers of
                  its own. This process allowed civilizations to grow throughout history, from the empires of the ancient
                  world to the discovery and settlement of the New World.

6. Replace #PRTO_SettlerB with #PRTO_Pioneer and replace #DESC_PRTO_SettlerB with #DESC_PRTO_Pioneer and edit the text to say what you want it to say.

7. Save and exit civilopedia.txt

8. If you want to change the icon from the Pyramids Icon you need you open up pediaicons.txt and scroll down until you see this section:

#ICON_PRTO_SettlerB
                  art\civilopedia\icons\units\00settlerlarge.pcx
                  art\civilopedia\icons\units\00settlersmall.pcx

9. Change it to say

#ICON_PRTO_SettlerB
                  art\civilopedia\icons\units\whatever_icon_you_want _to_use_large.pcx
                  art\civilopedia\icons\units\whatever_icon_you_want _to_use_small.pcx

10. Save and exit pediaicons.txt

11. Open the \art\units directory. For most units there will only be one directory (for instance ScoutB has just one folder), however some units change graphics for different eras, so I will give the long instructions and just don't worry about it if your unit has the same graphic for all time.

e.g. renaming 'era specific' units
                  (EVERYTHING RENAMED WITHOUT THE QUOTES)
                  A. Rename the "SettlerB" directory to "Pioneer"
                  B. Enter the new directory and rename "SettlerB.ini" to "Pioneer.ini"
                  C. Rename the "SettlerB Industrial Ages" directory to "Pioneer Industrial Ages"
                  D. Enter the new directory and rename "SettlerB Industrial Ages.ini" to "Pioneer Industrial Ages.ini"
                  E. Rename the "SettlerB Modern Times" directory to "Pioneer Modern Times"
                  F. Enter the new directory and rename "SettlerB Modern Times.ini" to "Pioneer Modern Times.ini"

e.g. renaming 'always the same' units
                  (EVERYTHING RENAMED WITHOUT THE QUOTES)
                  A. Rename the "ScoutB" directory to "Ranger"
                  B. Enter the new directory and rename "ScoutB.ini" to "Ranger.ini"

12. If you want to change the unit animations, etc., copy the .ini file from another unit's fold and paste it into the unit to be changed. Then delete the old on and rename the new one.

Let's say you are changing the look of MarineB to use the Hoplite animations

A. Copy and paste the Hoplite.ini file from the art\units\Hoplite directory into the MarineB directory
                  B. Delete the existing .ini file (MarineB.ini)
                  C. !!IN THE MarineB DIRECTORY!!!, rename Hoplite.ini to MarineB.ini
                  D. Open MarineB.ini
                  1. Every single instance of a file being linked to needs to be changed. Where you see:

ATTACK1=MarineAttackA.flc ***** change this to say:

ATTACK1=..\Marine\MarineAttackA.flc

2. As you can see you will need to add "..\Marine\" before each file being linked to

E. Save and exit MarineB.ini after you have changed all the links.

13. Play the game!

*****MODDING RESOURCES****

Let's say you want to change OilB to Juice

2. Go to the Natural Resources tab and change the OilB resource to what bonuses you want it to have, rename it Juice and change the civilopedia entry to GOOD_Juice.

3. Go to the Terrain tab and add Juice to terrains where you want it to show up on.

5. Open up civilopedia.txt and look for something like the following entry

^{City Production Bonuses}
                  ^Like all resources, strategic resources also provide city production bonuses to
                  worked squares within a
                  $LINK.
                  ^
                  ^{Types Food Shields Commerce}
                  ^$LINK +0 +2 +0
                  ^$LINK +0 +2 +1
                  ^$LINK +0 +0 +1
                  ^$LINK +0 +1 +0
                  ^$LINK +0 +1 +2

Change GOOD_OilB to GOOD_Juice

6. Look for the next entry with GOOD_OilB in it, which is the following:

#GOOD_OilB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^[Oil] is a $LINK required to build late Industrial Age and
                  Modern Era units.
                  ^
                  ^Oil deposits appear when your civilization discovers $LINK and can be
                  found in $LINK, $LINK, and $LINK.
                  #DESC_GOOD_OilB
                  ^
                  ^
                  ^Humans have known oil since ancient times. Oil deposits found on the surface were used for
                  centuries for waterproofing and fuel purposes. But it was not until the coming of the Industrial
                  Revolution that civilizations began to form a dependence on petroleum products. The widespread use
                  of oil for fuel, lubrication, and other purposes led to a search for larger supplies. In the mid
                  1800s, the first oil wells were drilled, marking the beginning of a tremendously important and
                  profitable industry. Today, with the world’s oil supplies dwindling and the demand for oil
                  constantly rising, oil is a more valuable resource than ever.

Change #GOOD_OilB to #GOOD_Juice and change #DESC_GOOD_OilB to #DESC_GOOD_Juice, and change the description to whatever you want.

7. For whatever terrain you added Juice to, you need to change its text, for example if you added it to Plains look for the following:

#TERR_Plains
                  ^[Plains] are vast, open tracts of land, usually with very few trees and covered with vegetation
                  such as sagebrush and various grasses.
                  ^
                  ^Plains may contain
                  $LINK,
                  $LINK,
                  $LINK,
                  $LINK,
                  $LINK,
                  $LINK, or
                  $LINK.

Add $LINK in there somewhere.

8. Save and exit civilopedia.txt.

9. Open the pediaicons.txt file. Look for the following entry:

#ICON_GOOD_OilB
                  art\civilopedia\icons\resources\oillarge.pcx
                  art\civilopedia\icons\resources\oilsmall.pcx

Change #ICON_GOOD_OilB to #ICON_GOOD_Juice and point this entry to other graphics if you want (this is only for the civilopedia entry, the graphic that shows up in game on the map is set from within the editor in the natural resources tab_.

10. Play the game!

*****MODDING CITIZENS****

First off, I couldn't figure out how to make new citizens use the right graphics, and I don't know if governors will use new citizens. If, for instance, you made a citizen that gave 5 luxuries, would the governor use the new super entertainer, or if it would continue to use the old entertainer (1 luxury).

2. You will only need to use the regular civ editor for this, so go to the Citizens tab and change them to what you want them to do, and what prerequisite tech you want civs to have before using them.

3. If you want to be fancy, I suppose you could actually add civilopedia entries for each citizen, after all they do have a civ entry (e.g. CTZN_EntertainerB); however, the civilopedia does not mention citizens at all, so you don't have to make any additions to it if you don't want to.

5. Play the game!

p.s. The default tech requirement is Integrated Defense for all blank items so you can play and not get spammed with several dozen blank items right off the bat.

-------------------
                  --Version History--
                  -------------------

v1.8
                  Added 9 blank citizens
                  Added 8 blank resources
                  Added 1 new resource (Timber)

v1.5
                  Added 20 blank units

v1.01
                  Included the buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx files.

v1.0

Added 12 city improvements
                  Added 12 small wonders
                  Added 12 great wonders
                  (all 36 with pics and text entries)

Comment

• Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                    religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

• Whew. Sorry guys, I had thought Monkspider was still around and had to work on getting settled into a new job.

I have been planning on reaccomplishing the Mod based on the new patch, however, I had a HDD crash and while I was able to save 95% of my files my Civ3Mod files weren't included.

If there is still interest in this Mod I would be delighted to update it. I had sent an updated Civilopedia.txt and some graphics files to Monkspider before I lost my Internet connection a while back. I guess it didn't get included in the latest release though.

I will have to recreate everything from scratch since that will be easier than trying to sort through all of the older stuff.

The changes will basically be the same as they were before (adjusted for new patches and the like, however).

This may be a little while, but my wife is taking my son out of town this weekend so I should have a lot of time to work on it.

Wish me luck. Also any suggested changes to the old stuff are still welcome. Thanks.
                      Yours in gaming,
                      ~Luc

Comment

• some way to avoid it crashing would be nice

LOL, j/k,

actually, when I played it and it didnt crash (one of the few), I found that fascism is extremely too powerful, I was able to almost conquer the entire world in about 40 turns.
                        my science level never dropped, I was still out-learning everyone else, and out-building them all as well (where they would build 1 or 2 tanks, I would build 7...............

the wonders would crash the game (big, not small), so I just avoided building them, except the reichsteig, that I was able to build once, but it did not allow me to build armies in every city.
                        only in the one that built it, which was still cool, as I had both the MA and the riech, so I was able to build armies in 2 locations.

but just having the game not crash would be nice.

Comment

• I tried to respond yesterday but couldn't for some ungodly reason. The way I am working it is I started off with a fresh install of Civ 3 and the 1.17f patch. From there I am editing the default Civ3mod.bic.

Also I am including the changes up to and including 1.5, minus a few as they weren't working as planned. Although I didn't get any crashes at all when playing it. I will thouroughly test it before I release it, well thoroughly for just one guy.

Also I will take you suggestions under advisement and look into the effectiveness of Facism. One thing, which version are you playing?
                          Yours in gaming,
                          ~Luc

Comment

• If you are having problems with adding new buildings, etc, try my Root Mod, or at least read the readme included with my Root Mod, its pretty in depth for the text editing (included with the mod are several art files that already have spots added for new buildings). No rules are changed, the buildings are added and made so that you can easily change them to do what you want and to be called what you want (I call them "blank" not "new" :P). There are also 20 blank units, 8 blank resources, 1 new resource, and some blank citizens.

Comment

• I will definately have a look. Although the problems we had were actuially with the government requirement for a building. I would like to make a building get "turned off" when out of it's required form of government. Buit again, I will definately take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
                              Yours in gaming,
                              ~Luc

Comment

• > -Reichstag- Allows Fascist governments to build armies in ANY city.
                                > This gives the Fascist government that some complained of being
                                > too weak a considerable advantage.

"Reichstag" was the parliament of the first democratic gownernment in germany after WWI. the nazis set it on fire...

what you mean were the "Reichs-Parteitage" in Nuernberg.

btw the possibility of building internment camps sounds cynic to me.

using some history to make a cool game without ulterior motives is ok, but doing a simulation on the darkest chapter is sick anyway
                                Gareth

Comment

Working...
                                X