crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crash

I constantly get errors saying error in civilization3.exe. when I try to get to the next turn it does it. any ideas?

I had the same problem with my second game, just when it was getting good. A couple other folks have reported the same. THere are a couple of theories going around:

Dan Magaha of Firaxis has offererd up in various threads that such crashes may result from certain things that the editor will let you do (changing the colors of civs or making your huge map 256x256, both of which I had done). He promised to research it and post if he found out anything. There are also problems if you rename units in the editor but don't follow the directions for that button in the editor help to also rename certain files associated with the unit. This causes a crash as soon as anybody in the game builds that unit.

Others have reported certain "tiles of death" that crash the game if you or the AI try to found a city in them. One guy posted that no matter how long he waited or what else he did, if he tried to found a city in that square he got this crash. Then, later, he saw the same crash when the AI tried the same square.

All I know is that when I end the turn in 1700 of that game, it crashes during the "please wait". If I go back a turn or two via the autosaves, the Greeks now come wanting to trade maps, and the crash comes after I exit that diplomacy screen (whether I make a deal or not). I tend to think it is the "tile of death" bug, with the tile in question being someplace outside the view of any of my cities or units. I tend to think issues from editor changes would show up long before 1700, except for the ones associated with renamed units (but I didn't rename any units).

Comment

Similar crash, huge map

Comment

I didn't use any special map. It was the standard one that starts a game. The crash seems to have something to do with the universal suffrage technology. With one turn left to complete it is when the game crashes. I stopped building it and the game played forward.

Comment

ZIP your savegame and post it here, maybe we can verify it

Comment

here's my saved game

Originally posted by WyattMax
            ZIP your savegame and post it here, maybe we can verify it
            I continued forward with the game and just didn't build universal suffrage but here it is.
            Attached Files

Comment

Similar crash here, in my first game.

Attached file below.

-- Roland
              Attached Files

Comment

OK, I think I have tracked down the problem. The game crashes as soon as the Egyptians try to talk to me (or I try to talk to the Egyptians, which was how I found what was causing the crashes). I've gotten round the problem that crashed my game in 1485 by reverting a few turns, only to have the same problem again in 1550 and now yet again in 1595.

I think there is a problem with the Industrial-age Cleopatra, 'cause I have managed to talk to her once in the Industrial age (in 1520 or around), and then the graphics were corrupted. All other times the game simply crashes.

-- Roland
                Last edited by Roland Ehnström; November 17, 2001, 12:20.

Comment

corrupted graphics

I also have corrupted graphics when I complete a wonder and the pop up comes up to show the wonder. The bottom third of it always seems to be shifted over a little bit. I don't know if it is an issue with my video card. The card is a elsa 920 geforce 3.

Comment

Bah, I got the same crash AGAIN in my second game (1150 AD). And this time I've made sure there are no Egypts. I am beginning to think that there is a problem at my end, 'cause if it crashes THIS often (I only got the game the day before yesterday...), then I guess we would have heard more whining about it. So I'll try a reinstall, and see what happens...
                    -- Roland

Comment

Oh yeah, could someone please do me a small favor? Please load the save-game file in the zip I attached to my first post in this thread above (crash.ZIP). Does the game crash at the end of the turn (simply skip all unit-movements until the turn ends) on your computer too?

I would be VERY thankful if someone could do me this favor.

-- Roland

Comment

No problems here

I tried out your save, the turn ended properly, and Cleopatra contacted me about your caravel bumbling around stealing chickens off the coast of Hierancopolos (whatever)

Im happy to report the game has never crashed once on my system, but then again I havent gone tweaking around in the editor yet.

I have AMD tbird 1200 mhz
                        256 megs SDram
                        Tnt2 m64 32 megs ewww

Comment

Thanks Hugo!

I am happy that it is not a problem with the game then.

And I was right about Cleopatra!

Peace!
                          -- Roland

Comment

Working...
                          X