9999 Problem --Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9999 Problem --Need Help

It is my first game. I am now in Monarchy. All of my cities are growing fine, except for two: Tours and Rheims. Although these two show surplus food and their granaries are full, they both show "9999" for the number of turns before the population will increase. In other words, they have stopped growing. They are not in revolt; the citizens are happy/content. They both have a population of six.

Is this a bug? Or, if not, what do I need to do in order to get the cities growing again? Creating a settler or worker doesn't work. All that does is to reduce the population, but as soon as it reaches six again, the 9999 appears and the growth stops.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    StarGazer

Not a bug, because it is showing you are infinately away from next growth. To get past size six you require a aquaduct. At size 12 you will stall again unless you build a hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Robm
      Not a bug, because it is showing you are infinately away from next growth. To get past size six you require a aquaduct. At size 12 you will stall again unless you build a hospital.
      Thanks, Robm. Hmm, an aqueduct, eh? Sounds plausible. The only problem is why other cities are growing past six WITHOUT an aqueduct. For example, Paris is now population 10. But maybe that's because it's next to a river and also on the coast. I'll have to investigate this further. Maybe coastal cities don't need an aqueduct, but interior cities do.
      StarGazer

Comment

Cities adjacent to fresh water don't need aquaducts.
        The establishment of a Hebrew government and the implementation of its plans - this is the sole way of rescuing our people, salvaging our existence and our honor. We will follow this path, for there is no other. We will fight! Every Jew in our homeland will fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Robm
          Ah but this is a bug if they don't let you know why. There should be some piece of information to tell you this. I assumed when I was first playing that it was the whole aqueduct thing but then another one of my cities was still growing. Took some major reading to find the answer. Come on Firaxis we deserved better than this.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

They do let us know. It is in the manual.

I'm not flaming ya, but lets not complain something is a bug when it is clearly noted in the manual.

Thanks

Comment

I actually encountered a bug involving this situation: my city "got stuck" on population six, without saying anything about the cause so I started reading the manual all over again and discovered the aqueduct thing. Built one, but the city still said 9999 although the food boxes were filled. After a couple of turns I found a way around it: I created starvation and as soon as the food level dropped below maximum the text changed to "growth in 1 turn" and then I got my pop expansion.
              I have only seen it once though and all the other cities are behaving correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X