Anyone working on a Tech mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone working on a Tech mod?

I want to create a mod to replace the horrible tech tree in Civ3 with one similar to Civ2.(Basically get rid of the stupidity of required eras.)

The easiest way to do this would be to set all the techs in all the eras to optional, then link the bottom techs of some eras to the top techs of others(As well as some additional. Chivalry should require Horseback Riding.).

The problem with this is that most likely the game would start with the Modern graphics, and never change.

Anybody have a clue how I can make a continuous tech tree and still have the graphics change with era?

I really like the new tech tree. You can't rush to, say, conscription right at the start and go to modern age tech without ever going the way of map making/astronomy and all. Wasn't really realistic. Now tech advance is way more balanced, and for me, it's a feature I really like a lot. What exactly don't you like with the new tech tree? Just curious, heh.
    -Karhgath

Comment

Well, I've got a tech tree all planned and mapped out, that combines what I think are the best aspects of the Civ 2 and Civ 3 tech trees, but I won't be able to implement it without the ability to add new techs. Also I'd like the ability to speed research just a little. Oh, and I'll need new graphics for the new techs, so I'll need to know how to add them. (I'll have to revise my planned tech tree to eliminate Refrigeration, though, since double-irrigating is out, and there's no way to add a Supermarket...)

As for keeping the eras... well, a way to replicate the "gateway tech" effect from Civ 2 would be to simply have the prerequisites for the gateway tech be the only required techs to advance to the next age.

The way I'm thinking it'll work is that Engineering will be the gateway tech into Middle Ages, so Construction and Horseback Riding will be the only two required techs for the Ancient Era. Steam Power will be the gateway into the Industrial Era, so Invention and Physics will be the only two required techs for the Middle Ages. For the modern era, I seem to recall both Electronics and Automobile were both required in Civ 2 to get modern city graphics, so we'll have Combustion, Steel, Electricity, and the Corporation as required techs for the Industrial Era.
      "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Why would you require Horseback Riding?

The whole reason I want to redesign is so I can rush to navigation like your're supposed to without having to waste effort on Horseback Riding until I'm ready for Future Tech.

Basically, my problem with the Tech Tree is that it forces you to play their way, slowly crawling up the tech tree and always stuck at the same level as your opponents. Most normal people play Civ by picking a favorite technology and rushing for it.

Comment

Yeah, I just realized that wouldn't work anyway. Guess the way to go is have no required techs. I hope the game still runs that way...
          "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Working...
          X