No announcement yet.

For "real world" colonization players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For "real world" colonization players!

Dear Friends,

As you may know, CivIII does not allow you to specify the starting location of a civilization. So, even if you have a great “real world” map you may not enjoy it as much because you’ll have Japan starting out on the Italian peninsula or the French establishing their capital where Beijing usually sits.

Well, I’ve created a map that looks similar to the real world, but does not constrain you to its specifications. There is one large continent at the center-top of the map. It has eight coastal starting locations each offering access to essential resources such as iron and coal. Therefore, it doesn’t really matter which civilization you pick or where you start.

In the game I’m playing right now, I kept on clicking “Restart Scenario” until I got Britain at a good starting location (at the Far West end of the continent). Luckily, I also had only European neighbors-- Russia to the North and Spain and France to the South. China and Japan were to the east, while the others were at random locations. It’s very similar to the real world and yet different enough so that you don’t have to have the civilizations starting at their EXACT location. Right now, I’m competing with Spain and France to colonize what looks like the New World and will soon fight the Indians and Chinese for their settlements in similar-looking to, but not necessarily, Africa and Australia.

Most of the luxury and strategic resources such as spices and oil are located on other continents or small islands. Consequently, the AI’s rapidly establish colonies abroad. This is really a map for those that enjoy playing one of the eight major powers in a race for colonization.

I’ve altered the list of cities for each of the major powers intended for use on this map:

Britain (not England!)
    France
    Spain (yes!)
    Germany
    Russia
    China
    Japan
    India

In addition, I’ve made some changes to the list for “The United States” for those that like to play the Yanks. You may play any of the original civilizations included in the game, however. In addition, I wanted to include some major cities in the game, so I’ve put places like Dublin under Britain and Seoul under Japan. Please don’t be offended, as it’s just to have these cities show up on the map and be somewhat “neutral” targets to prey on. If people enjoy this map, I will make a better one with civilizations such as Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, and Korea included so let me know.

I’ve only started testing out the map now, so I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions, but please no harsh criticisms. This is my first map and I’m just sending it out for fun.

One more note: When you edit rules in CivIII, the Science Advisor becomes inaccessible. You’ll just have to “go with the flow” when you play on this map and let “Sid” decide your civilization advances.

Thanks.

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service,

Sir Edgar

P.S. I’VE TRIED TO ATTACH THE FILE, BUT THIS WEB-SITE DOES NOT ACCEPT .bic FILES. YOU MAY E-MAIL ME AT specialedgar@netscape.net FOR THE FILE.
    Excellent!
    0%
    Nice map.
    0%
    Not bad for a first try.
    0%
    My mum could have made a better map...
    0%
    "I've spent more time posting than playing."
Working...
X