changing the palette of pcx-files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the palette of pcx-files?

I have been foolling around with the pcx-files for a couple of days now, but one thing keeps nagging me. I can't figure out how to change the palette properly, which is quite a problem, if one wants to get rid of the greenish/yellowish pastellish palettes of most of the files.

It seems SO difficult to get a straight blue range or straight red range, that its unbearable when your graphics keeps turning pastel when inserted into the pcx-files

HOW do you do it?

Any of you guys know how to get around that problem?
    The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
    Kaplak Stream

Hiya,

I can't answer your specific question since I have a problem of my own at the time.

It seems that when I got to edit the pcx files, it won't let me save them in anything other than 2 color (b/w) mode.

Praytell what paint program are you using?

From there, I should, perhaps, be able to find a way to get around your issue.

I've dabbled in map-hacking like this since Civ 1 (I turned mine into a hockey game. )

Right now, though, the only thing I can't seem to be able to edit are the little pcx files.

ANY help with this (i.e. telling me which program to use to open and save them) and I'll make an icon set in no-time.

Right now, I'm hard at work on my 'failed dot com' mod.

(P.S. Yes, you WILL be able to capture these companies, sicne those are the cities. )

Best,

Scott

Comment

Tell me what program u two are using and I will give u the answers u need
      be free

Comment

I dunno what program u are using but all u need to do is convert the pcx to RGB, paste ur image into it, then convert it back to indexed colors

in the colors table u will have to make sure that the first two colours are the PINK and GREEN (I'm hoping u know the ones).

then save it
        be free

Comment

I'm using an old version of Paint Shop Pro (4.12) since I primarily use it for eBay.

The issue here is, whenever I go to save into PCX format, it tells me I need to decrease the color depth to 2 colors.

It may just be that this verision is so ancient that it's screwing something around, not sure.

I know I used this program to modify virtually every image in Civ 2.

Thanks for your help! I DO appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Scott

Comment

I'm using Paintshop Pro v.5, and I have no problems loading or saving the pcx. I just cannot seem to change individual colors of the palette. I'll try and see if I can do what you propose, Sn00py... I suppose I can do the conversion in the colors menu?

Until further I've managed by adjusting contrast/brightness, hue and saturation etc. but this is clearly not a long-term solution.

What is the difference between "indexed" and "RGB" palettes?
            Kaplak Stream

Comment

Originally posted by hardjoy
              I'm using Paintshop Pro v.5, and I have no problems loading or saving the pcx. I just cannot seem to change individual colors of the palette. I'll try and see if I can do what you propose, Sn00py... I suppose I can do the conversion in the colors menu?

Until further I've managed by adjusting contrast/brightness, hue and saturation etc. but this is clearly not a long-term solution.

What is the difference between "indexed" and "RGB" palettes?
              An Indexed palette simply means the palette is limited to a certain number of colors, each one having a specific index in that palette. RGB color generally means you can use whatever color you want.

Dan
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

yeah.. so.. hardjoy.. when u want to import a graphic into one of the pcx files, u should convert the pcx to RGB first, so that all colours are now supported, u just have to make sure that u convert it back to indexed colours after u paste the new image in, otherwise ur image will look screwed in the game.

also, u'd want to make sure that ur image is not anti-aliased, otherwise u will get purple blocks around ur image.

in photoshop there's a feature called "colour table" that's what I use to make sure that the first two colours are the purple and green. (u know the ones). u can only go to the colour table in indexed mode.

i'm not sure if PSP has the colour table, but it probably should..

oh btw, when I say 'colour table' I am NOT talking about the colour pallete u see on one of ur windows in PSP or PS. It's an entirely different thing. u will find it up in the image properties or something like that.. I dunno, I dun use PSP..

i'll get ya's a screenshot
                be free

Comment

the colours in the window in the left display ALL colours that are within the image u are working on.

the colours in the pallette on the right are just user-defined colours, they are just there for u to quickly pick a colour.

notice how the first two colours are pink and green, that's how all the pcx files must look.

I was thinking, that I should set up an instruction thingymajig hehe, so that ppl understand and can change the graphics on their own. how bout it?
                  Attached Files
                  be free

Comment

Thanks! It really helps me a lot to understand this!

PSP does have a "colour wheel" where you can pick the colours, but I didn't know I had to convert the image to RGB in order to change them. I think it works for me now.

Sn00py wrote:
                    I was thinking, that I should set up an instruction thingymajig hehe, so that ppl understand and can change the graphics on their own. how bout it?
                    That would be great. I know I had so much use of the good info-docs for Civ2 that has been made over the years. And I suppose I'm not the only one without *significant* graphical experience who is playing around with the graphics.
                    Kaplak Stream

Comment

Hey folks,

Thanks a TON for the help. I got it. Needed to make a few little changes to my PSP and it's working great!

Thanks much!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X