Can't Get Civ3 to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Get Civ3 to Work

I've tried for 4 hours each of the past 2 nights...

I have a Pentium 3 - 450, 64 Ram, 2.5 Gb extra HD space. Is it my graphics card? I have an ATI3D Rage Pro (atir3). My computer tech store says it is compatible with directx 8.0, but I'm having some doubts.

The install process goes fine, I "register" (printout to be mailed), and then double click on the new desktop icon (and tried direct from the .exe file).

Anyone with similar (solved) problems? Any suggestions? A screen comes up showing a city graphic, but no menu of "start new game" etc. It just freezes at that point.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, made sure I have directX 8.0. Even reinstalled Windows 98 . Nothing helps.

HELP!
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Sounds like you are having problems getting by the SafeDisc2 copy protection. Try and d/l the CivIII "fixed.exe" patch from www.gamecopyworld.com" and see if that doesn't help. You will still need the game disc in the CD player to play, but it will get you past the copy protection.

Comment

I can assure you your 3D card is not the source of your trouble. I use a Rage Pro and the game runs fine. But maybe you only have 4 Megs on you V-card?

Comment

Cavebear, I've got exactly the same problem
        It won't help you much to know, but at least it's not your computer and not W98 cos I got W95
        Ignis, I quite agree with your diagnosis and I'm going to try your remedy this evening
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by Icare
          I can assure you your 3D card is not the source of your trouble. I use a Rage Pro and the game runs fine. But maybe you only have 4 Megs on you V-card?
          It's an 8 Mb card, but thanks for letting me know the Rage Pro isn't the problem. That's a real relief!
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus
            Sounds like you are having problems getting by the SafeDisc2 copy protection. Try and d/l the CivIII "fixed.exe" patch from www.gamecopyworld.com" and see if that doesn't help. You will still need the game disc in the CD player to play, but it will get you past the copy protection.
            I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X