For those having problems with the science advisor with custom BIC files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those having problems with the science advisor with custom BIC files

We have a hypothesis on what is causing this, and so far it seems logical in theory, so here goes:

If you are having the "can't do anything on the Science advisor" problem when you try to load a custom BIC file in using the "Load Scenario" option, please start a game (preferably loading a game where you've already contacted a few other civs) and go to the foreign advisor.

Click around, select different civs in the advisor and play with the display options (turn on and off the display of agreements, etc.)

-- Are you seeing the lines drawn between the other civs?
    -- Does the screen seem really slow?

Now go back to the main map screen and use the "Go To" command (click the icon and/or use the 'G' key to select a destination).

-- Does the game lag significantly while you're dragging the cursor?

We think the problem may be a video driver issue. Several parts of the game use the OpenGL API to handle antialiasing, and older video drivers might need to be updated to properly handle this.

In the specific case of the science advisor, when the game thinks it's dealing with a mod, it uses the OpenGL API to dynamically draw the lines which connect technologies in the tech tree.

It uses predrawn arrows for the default game tech tree, which may be why mods are not exhibiting this problem when they are saved as "civ3mod.bic". The game thinks it's loading the default rules, and doesn't use the dynamic line drawing.

Anyway, this is one theory, and seems the most plausible at the current moment, so let me know if you are seeing this kind of slowdown in either of the other two places, since they both use OpenGL as well. Please also let me know what your machine specs are; if you're playing the game on a slower PC or a PC with less RAM it's entirely possible you'd have some slowdown in these areas even with totally up-to-date drivers.

Thanks for your patience.

Dan
    Dan Magaha
    Firaxis Games, Inc.
    --------------------------

www.glsetup.com

At this point I'm also going to recommend that anyone running Win95/98/Me who is having any of the problems mentioned above, that they checkout GLSetup:

Unless you're on a Cable Modem, DSL, or T1, I don't recommend the whopping 88Mb "monolithic" download. Try the GLSetup for the Web option first.

Apparently it doesn't yet support Win2000 or XP, so I'll try to find an easy solution for 2000/XP users.

Download GLSetup and run it, and it should get and install the latest and best OpenGL drivers for your system. Let me know if this resolves the problem.

Thanks

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS; November 6, 2001, 12:35.
    Dan Magaha
    Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

edit: double post
      Last edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS; November 6, 2001, 12:30.
      Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

I suffer from the aforementioned problems. Any new .bic I create will have problems with science advisor regardless of what changes I make. The lines wont be drawn, and I can't click on any of the techs to change what I'm researching. Unfortunately I'm not home right now to test your theory but I can tell you I have a Hercules 3d Prophet DDR (geForce) with the latest drivers, 390 Mb ram, 450 Pentium 2, Windows 2000. Feel free to email me @ t.lozina@verizon.net if you want any info or files. I'd like to help in any way I can to find out why this problem occurs ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
          I suffer from the aforementioned problems. Any new .bic I create will have problems with science advisor regardless of what changes I make. The lines wont be drawn, and I can't click on any of the techs to change what I'm researching. Unfortunately I'm not home right now to test your theory but I can tell you I have a Hercules 3d Prophet DDR (geForce) with the latest drivers, 390 Mb ram, 450 Pentium 2, Windows 2000. Feel free to email me @ t.lozina@verizon.net if you want any info or files. I'd like to help in any way I can to find out why this problem occurs ...
          If you're using the *latest* drivers (Detonator 21.81) you may have some problems there. 14.10 and below should work fine, but 21.81 is definitely causing some folks problems on 2000 and XP systems.

I can't seem to locate any OpenGL-specific software on the Hercules site, I'll do some digging and see what I come up with. I know the Detonator drivers are supposed to have OpenGL drivers in them as well, though, so maybe just going back to 14.10 would work...

Dan
          Dan Magaha
          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

If you're using the *latest* drivers (Detonator 21.81) you may have some problems there. 14.10 and below should work fine, but 21.81 is definitely causing some folks problems on 2000 and XP systems.

I can't seem to locate any OpenGL-specific software on the Hercules site, I'll do some digging and see what I come up with. I know the Detonator drivers are supposed to have OpenGL drivers in them as well, though, so maybe just going back to 14.10 would work...

Dan
            I can confirm that this doesn't work, at least for XP. I rolled back my drivers to 12-something because of the scrolling speed, and I still get the messed-up science advisor when loading up a scenario.

Comment

I had both the "no diplomacy lines" and the "screwed-up science" problems. (I don't know whether the Go-to command was slow or not.) I installed a new video driver for my ATI Rage Pro card (had to use the "official alternate" driver from ATI) and the diplomacy lines are fixed. I will check the science advisor with a mod BIC tonight.

Comment

Dan
                How do I tell what detonator version I'm using? Here's all the info I can dig up off my system properties that might be relevent...

Driver version: 1.4.1.0
                Chip type: GeForce DDR
                BIOS: 2.10.0300
                Open GL installable client driver: 5.13.01.1410 (nvoglnt.dll)
                Display Driver: 5.13.01.1410 (nv4_disp.dll)
                DirectX version: 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

if you need any other info pls let me know

Comment

EDIT: double post... these aployton servers are getting ravaged....

Comment

This didn't help me at all.

Radeon AIW driver version 4.13.7189
                    Athlon 600 512MB RAM

Still getting the same problems with the science advisor etc.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

ATI Rage Pro 16MB. Version 4.12.6294

Dell Computer, Intel Pentium III, 650Mhz, 128MB RAM

Tried the glsetup, but it didn't appear to have anything available to upgrade when I ran the 88MB file.

The mod I was using is named civ3mod.bic and it is displaying the problem with the science advisor. I will try reinstalling the game when I have a chance and saving a backup of civ3mod.bic when I have a chance to double check this.
                      |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
                      | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

nVidia: Detonator V 21.83 was released about a week before XP came out.

Radeon:For those with XP and ATI based cards, the OpenGL support was missing on the the XP disc. ATI released complete drivers, again about a week before XP launch.

"The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I'm running ME on this machine...
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I have a W98 P2, ATI Rage Pro Turbo driver v.4.11.2560, SoundBlaster PCI64. Note ATI claims "Recommended Driver. This is a fully released and supported display driver, which supports Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows 95b (OSR2). DirectX 6 and OpenGL support are included." I installed DirectX 8.0a from the Civ III disk.

I was experiencing the following problems:

1) No lines drawn in Diplomacy advisor (ever)

2) No lines drawn in Science advisor if a modified .bic was used (with no changes to the tech tree)

3) Unable to click on advances to change research direction if using a modified .bic

I was not having troubles with slow scrolling or with crashes related to the science advisor in a modified .bic.

I upgraded to Rage Pro driver v.4.12.2632, described as "Alternate Driver: Originally posted as a Special Purpose Driver Feb. 1, 2000; Moved to Technical Support Download pages March 26, 2001. This display driver is NOT recommended if you wish to use the ATI DVD Player or capture video using the ATI Video Player (TV Tuner/Capture) software." I also reinstalled DirectX from the Civ disk.

This fixed problems (1) and (2), but not problem (3).

Hope this helps, Dan.

Comment

Re: For those having problems with the science advisor with custom BIC files

We have a hypothesis on what is causing this, and so far it seems logical in theory, so here goes:

If you are having the "can't do anything on the Science advisor" problem when you try to load a custom BIC file in using the "Load Scenario" option, please start a game (preferably loading a game where you've already contacted a few other civs) and go to the foreign advisor.

Click around, select different civs in the advisor and play with the display options (turn on and off the display of agreements, etc.)

-- Are you seeing the lines drawn between the other civs?
                              -- Does the screen seem really slow?

Now go back to the main map screen and use the "Go To" command (click the icon and/or use the 'G' key to select a destination).

-- Does the game lag significantly while you're dragging the cursor?

Dan
                              Nope, neither of those problems; just the science advisor thing, where I can't pick *any* advances. The issue isn't just the arrows being drawn; it's not being allowed to pick any advances, even the very first ones.

Game is otherwise quite responsive and usable.

Comment

Working...
                              X