Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could we make Nowrap maps given the tools avalibable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could we make Nowrap maps given the tools avalibable?

It seems impossible to make impassable terrain; setting all units as wheeled has other undesirable effects; You can't place units on the map. I personally can't think of anything... Anyone got any ideas?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

What about making a wall of land at both sides of the map maybe 8 squares from the east and west edges. This wall will prevent ships from being able to traverse to the other side...then make a wall of water in the next few squares keeping land units from crossing. A new type of terrain would have to be added that prevents cities from being constructed (maybe something that puts out 0 food in all circumstances it may be possible)
    The other problem is that any land square always seems to have to have an adjacent coast square (when it borders water..ie no land square can directly touch an ocean square), so the food production of coasts would also have to be set to 0, which could be a major pain. Anyhow thats the best that i can come up with.

Comment

We could yell at Firaxis enough that they release the "What were we thinking?" patch.
      Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

well you could try this

you could surround the entire map with an ocean border and set all sea units to sink in sea, sink in ocean, and as long as the border was larger than the units movement then the chances of a naval unit making it across would be very small (however all of the useable water on your map would have to be coast, and you would need to disable the lighthouse because of the lighthouse bug)

Comment

tulcas had the right idea, he just didn't go far enough.

make sure the edges of the map are bounded by a single row of mountains, then a row of water.

the mountains will prevent cities from being founded on the edge of the water, so no ships can be built to traverse from one side to the other.

if you are trying to do an historical scenario, you must not put a row of water "inside" (toward the center of the map) the row of mountains. it could create undersirable effects: in a ww2 scenario you'd be able to sail from st. petersburg to turkey by going straight south.

below is an example. O is Ocean, M is Mountains, x is your map.

OMxxxxxxxxxxxMO
          OMxxxxxxxxxxxMO
          OMxxxxxxxxxxxMO
          OMxxxxxxxxxxxMO
          OMxxxxxxxxxxxMO

the only possible problem with this involves the polar regions. i haven't edited any maps yet, so i don't know if it's possible to place land on what is normally polar ice tiles. please note the difference between civ3 and civ/civ2: polar ice tiles are NOT tundra! they are actually ocean and can be sailed on!

Comment

There's a "Polar Icecaps off" switch, so that should not be a problem. It gives some glaring graphical glitches, but you can't have everything...

Well, wish me luck, I'm about to try to make a nowrap "real life" map without any Civ2 model to base it on and without the minimap, by applying a grid of squares onto a graphical map and transcribing it that way. It'll be a standard to large size map of the Great Lakes region of central africa, plus the accompanying East African coast...
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
            X