• Show
Clear All

• HELP, constant crashes, loading problems, slowdowns

I am having major problems with Civ3 on the following machine:

Windows XP
    AMD 1.1 Ghz Cpu
    WD 7200 Rpm HD
    512 Meg SDRAM
    Voodoo 5500 3DFX Video Card (Updated Drivers)

When I attempt to start a new game, with a huge map
    and seven civ's the it loads, but as soon as I click the O on the
    first pop-up the game exits. However if I click one of the highlighted information links to civlopedia like pottery and then exit out the game wont dump me out immediately. Loading with a standard size map seems to not dump me out as often.

Gameplay after I am in the game is fine, until I have played for a couple hours when the entire game with lockup for no apparant reason. If it doent lock up completely it will slow down to a crawl, and silly me thinking, I better save! When I try to load that saved game I get a data error.

I have tried reducing the hardware acceleration for my video adapter, lowered my resolution and changed it to 16 bit.

My wife has pretty much the same system as mine, same video, only 256k ram but instead of AMD she has an Intel 800 Mhz cpu and she has ZERO problems running the game. She also runs XP. IS this an AMD issue?

I had constant freezes too. Also using an AMD (via chipset).
    I went into the bios, and changed a setting for the AGP from "optimal" to "normal" (changes AGP x4 to AGP x2). After that, no problems. Give it a shot, it may help.

Comment

AMD problems

Shouldn't be happening in WXP, but AMD chipsets do have a problem with W2K in some instances... text below is from AMD's website:

"An issue has been identified that could result in the corruption of video data shared between AGP graphics adapters and AMD Athlon? or AMD Duron? processors, including the AMD Athlon? MP processor when running Microsoft Windows®2000 Professional, Windows®2000 Server, or Windows®2000 Advanced Server. This issue is independent of system chipset and has been observed when running Ziff-Davis 3D Winbench? 2000 and Mad Onion 3DMark? 2000 in benchmarking mode. Note: This patch is not needed for Windows XP."

So, if you're using Windows 2000 on an AMD machine and are having problems, this patch might help: (apologies for the gargantuan URL, I copied it from their website)

Dan
      Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.
      --------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X