Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUG: Great Lighthouse allows free movement over ocean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: Great Lighthouse allows free movement over ocean?

I really haven't logged all that much time with Civ 3 yet, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I got the impression that The Great Lighthouse only negated the 50% chance of your boat being lost when ending its movement in a sea square, not ocean squares. Instead, I was able to map the entire ocean with a couple of veteran galleys (I didn't even bother upgrading to caravels because they weren't really necessary). Is this intentional?

Granted, I was playing at wussy Chieftain level, but that didn't stop me from losing quite a few galleys before building the Lighthouse.

From the Galley entry in the Civilopedia:

If The Great Lighthouse is built, galleys may safely end turns at sea, but never ocean squares.

Also water movement is increased by one. Maybe you were ending all your moves in a sea and not an ocean.
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

I think Feathers is right. Playing at chieftain, I've also noted that my galleys can end their turns on the ocean when I've got the Lighthouse. Takes the sport out of reckless sailing.

Comment

Just to chime in, I have noticed the same thing. One of my galleys mapped the earth stopping in a lot of ocean squares and I know I am not that lucky by the amount of cavalry falling to swordsmen that I have.

Comment

Aye, I built the Lighthouse and have had two Galleys exploring the entire world.
          "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

The documentation is incorrect

If you look at the Great Lighthouse in the editor, it has a flag enabled called "enable safe sea/ocean movement." I think it was a last-minute change that didn't get into the documentation.

It's better this way, I think, as the lighthouse is more-or-less useless otherwise.

Comment

I actually rather it be the documented way. In that case, getting Caravels is still important, and you might still be able to find 'new worlds' with the Galley if they are close enough to your mainland.

Plus, the +1 move bonus is almost enough to justify its creation.

Comment

However, even after I learned Magnetism and the Great Lighthouse was supposed to expire, my galleys still plied the oceans with nary a care in the world. The extra movement point, however, did go away.

Comment

Working...
                X