how do i edit science progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i edit science progress?

one personal problem i always had with the civs was the fast pace of the game. one second i have mobile transportation researched and by the time i finish building my first tank i have modern armor researched. Its kinda silly to me, i like the long epic games where i get a chance to use every unit Anyway, thats never been a problem since i was always able to edit the costs of techs previously- but how do i do this with Civ3? i couldnt find anything like a text file to change their costs- am i missing something? i suppose you can change it in the scenario editor for scenarios but i want this for the game in general. any help would be most appreciated!

^ *BUMP*

am i the only person who likes longer games with more importanc eon each tech???

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
      ^ *BUMP*

am i the only person who likes longer games with more importanc eon each tech???
      I'm sure this will get moved to the editor forum, but here are a few ways you can change technology with the editor:

1) change the costs of techs.
      2) change the "tech rate" setting on the worldsize tab. This directly affects the base rate at which technologies are researched. The lower you set this, the faster techologies will be researched. The higher you set it, the slower they will go.

Be warned that setting this to a low value on a big map will essentially allow players to burn through the tree quickly and you'll spend most of the game in the modern era.

Dan
      Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.
      --------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the reply, does setting that world sizes tech rate edit it for any game or only for that scenario? i would like to change it for entire game if thats possible. Thanks again

Comment

ok i tried editting world sizes tech rate, changed it to 850 (originally was like 160). So i save it as a scenario, load the scenario- it tells me the rules have been changed- excellent I think to myself... I play the game- whats the difference?! i started with everything taking 32 turns to research, and within 10 turns ive gotten it down to 5 turns left. Thats way too fast for me!

The maximum tech rate is 1000 and when i set it to 1000 i got all sorts of BUGS. the tech tree wont display properly, i cand switch techs, and if i click science advisor on the first turn it wont let me leave yet i can choose a tech! All I want to do is make tech much longer to research- please someone tell me how i can do this since this editor isnt working out.

BTW wheres this editor forum you speak of?!

Comment

Dark- same kinds of bugs happened to me. Here's what to do:

make a copy of the Civ3mod.bic file ( this is the default rules it looks like). Then in the editor, open THAT file and make your mods there, saving over the Civ3mod.bic file (don't rename it).

YOu don't have to load it as a scenario, since the game looks to this file for the default rules. Just start up your modded game and play!

Comment

Thanks for replying Anunikoba,

unfortunately I cant get tech to be more then 32 turns per advance. I changed the "World Size tech rate" to the extreme and it looks like theres a cap at 32... any idea how to change this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                Thanks for replying Anunikoba,

unfortunately I cant get tech to be more then 32 turns per advance. I changed the "World Size tech rate" to the extreme and it looks like theres a cap at 32... any idea how to change this?
                Perhaps I've misunderstood what you wanted to do all along! I *believe* Soren said that no tech will ever take longer than 32 turns to complete, but I'm not sure if that is only with the default rules, or if this can be changed in another way...

Dan
                Dan Magaha
                Firaxis Games, Inc.
                --------------------------

Comment

What you may need to do if you want to stay in one area, is to kill the tech tree.

What I mean is link all tech that you want to the "future tech" tech. That way you will never learn tech from highter eras. This is a bit drastic, but its the only way I can think of... Not sure if this will be bug ridden. Me personally I like to play games based soley in the ancient times...

Comment

I see what you're saying, but I want to be able to reach the modern era but in a looong time. I like to have games that i load and play over weeks! Spending a decent amount of time with each tech. Thats just my play preference for all civ-type games ive played and unfortunately i cant seem to get it to work with Civ3... if i have every civ get a tech at 32 turns then theres no benefit for higher scientific power.... i dont mind any of the bugs or difficulties I just want to play like I usually do with really long tech advances and apparently its not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Perhaps I've misunderstood what you wanted to do all along! I *believe* Soren said that no tech will ever take longer than 32 turns to complete, but I'm not sure if that is only with the default rules, or if this can be changed in another way...

Dan
                      Is this something I cannot change at all? Can you at least please point me to the files holding this variable so maybe I can take a crack at it with a hex editor? This feature is REALLY important to me! I really cant play the fast paced games... Again, thanks for replying

Comment

BAH!!!

There is no possible way to stop your tech flow. You must have it linked to an age or tech. If you dont you can research it from the start. So I figured I would try to delete the advances I didnt want (those higher than Ancient), and I was able to play the game for a short time, but the graphics for the buildings were wrong AHHH, and it would crash the game when I tried to change production...

Talking about Firaxis not letting us edit this game!!! UGGGGG

Comment

Soren said that no tech will ever take longer than 32 turns to complete,
                          That's too bad. Hopefully they will provide more flexibility when the editor patch is released.

Comment

yeah 32 turns thats just ridiculous! How is anyone supposed to make those scenarios like in Civ2 where they focused on a small section of time, and made turns go by in months and tech take like 150 turns to research? I love that kinda Civ!

Comment

Working...
                            X