Any XP users having this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any XP users having this problem?

When I first installed the game, I could watch the opening movie but when it got to what I later found out was the menu screen, the display went black (you could still hear the sound and make selections, the game was still running). After toying around with it I finally tried putting it in Win98 emulation mode, and it runs fine now. I only have one problem, but it's a pretty annoying one.

If I quit the game, I have to reboot before I can start another game. If I try to without rebooting the cursor gets an hourglass for about a second, and then it goes back to normal - the CD doesn't spin up, and I don't hear much in the way of hard drive activity.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, have you figured out a fix yet? It's not THAT big of an inconvenience (my system will reboot in less than a minute) but it bugs me since everything else on my new computer works fine.

Check out the Help forum. Firaxis has already posted something there about XP.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I am running XP as well and I am happy to report that there are no problems with civ

Comment

I also use WinXP and never encountered any of these problems.

p.s. Taking a break from the Straight Dope forums?

Comment

After you quit Civ3 bring up the Task Manager (Ctl+alt+del) and look at the processes. You will see a copy of Civ3 still running. If you kill the process then you will be able to start Civ3 without a reboot. Don't know what the problem is yet but that is the workaround.

Richard

Comment

No problems with XP here.

Go to Windows Update, make sure it's up to date...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
            X