No Horses, No Iron!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Horses, No Iron!

I don't know why, but my Germans have explored a rather large contient (which we cohabit with the French) and I can't find any horses or iron, anywhere. The Russians (on another continent) have horses, but they're not sharing because we have a minor disagreement. Yes, I've got the Chariot and Iron Working. Just no deposits of iron or herds of horses to be found. Has any one else experienced this phenomenon?

I realize this is small potatoes compared to entire systems crashing, but hey...
    Gary Frazier
    Civ Freak from way back

It's intentional.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It's not a bug...it's a feature?

This really kinda kills off generic strategies, then, and requires you to actually tailor your approach to the game based on the world you're on.
      Gary Frazier
      Civ Freak from way back

Comment

A new strategy is in order... kiss the Russians' arse.

Comment

Yup. I'm finding that out as my gameplay progresses. This game steers you to a whole new approach that other Civ versions (and SMAC) didn't require. The resource paucity forces you to be engaged with other civs, and not just ignore them except when you're being attacked or you're out to conquer.

Note to the moderator: This thread doesn't really belong here...I thought the resource weirdness was a bug...but, it's a feature! So the Strategy folder might be a better place for it.
          Gary Frazier
          Civ Freak from way back

Comment

Yeah, well in my current game i have ZERO strategic resources in 1600AD. Gotta trade for everything. Worst part is I was just the first to discover Steam Power, but with no coal, I can't build railroads!! Aaargh

Comment

fix civ 3

The use of resourse to limit when you can produce units cripples the fun in the game. I will keep trying, but we need to tell Fireaxis to get rid of this baloney.

I can always go back to good o'l Civ II.
              Lets fix Civ III ?

Comment

To some degree restricting the availability of resources can be a challenging and fun thing, but so far my experience have been they have taken this a little bit to way to far. I never seem to get any of the resources needed to build units inside my own territory

In my current game I have colonized a small continent, and other than a 5!! luxury resources lumped together at one spot and a few horses I have absolutely nothing. No iron, no coal and no saltpeter. The other civs off course have all these things, but they won't trade it. I managed to squeeze in a few cities on another continent, so I could get to these resources, but I wouldn't mind if a few of them could have appeared on my continent too!!

After a LONG time I could finally upgrade my spearmen!! to riflemen.
                We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Half bug, half feature

Plusses: Different game styles.
                  Minuses: If you get a run of bad luck, you can colonize two continents and be unable to build anything past bronze age.

Comment

about resourses

I doubt anybody really likes the new resources scheme.
                    I hope Fireaxis sees it for the bug that it is.

In the meantime, If you want to disable this feature you can turn it off by:

- Eliminating the restriction for the resources to build units in the scenario editor
                    - Changing the category for the 5 strategic to just luxury items in the scenario editor.

That means of course, that you have to load a scenario, and some Civ'ers
                    think that is cheating. I think it is only way to enjoy the game as it stands now.
                    Lets fix Civ III ?

Comment

I actually enjoy the new resource system, although I wouldn't mind tweaking it a bit to be a bit less extreme. I had to start a war with the Indians to secure oil because I didn't have any and nobody else had excess oil to trade me. I think the resource aspect makes for some very interesting scenarios like the one I experienced, and it's an additional layer of complexity beyond the ho-hum build, research, and conquer of previous civs. Diplomacy is a must, and isolationist strategies are only possible if you have all the resources you need in your own territory.

Comment

Working...
                      X