Max Map Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Map Size?

What is the maximum map size achievable in the map editor? I believe the HUGE world map that comes with the game is what, 180 x 180? I thought I saw someone mention in a thread somewhere that 255 x 255 maps were possible?

Thanks

Inquiringly yours,
    Dave

Re: Max Map Size?

Originally posted by Hawksguard
    What is the maximum map size achievable in the map editor? I believe the HUGE world map that comes with the game is what, 180 x 180? I thought I saw someone mention in a thread somewhere that 255 x 255 maps were possible?

Thanks

Inquiringly yours,
    Dave
    When you create a new map, you have to select a map size. By default, the largest map size is "HUGE" and it covers 180 x 180 squares. If you want to make a bigger map, you need to use the editor to change the dimensions of a map size, so for example you could edit HUGE sized maps to be 255 x 255. Then create a new map, and select "Huge" and you'll get a 255 x 255 map.

Dan
    Dan Magaha
    Firaxis Games, Inc.
    --------------------------

Comment

I think most people will be very disappointed if they go very big because it seems to me that the game mechanics get screwed up if you go to big. People are complaining about corruption problems becaue they're building empires that are huge. I think the game wasn't designed to go that big, and it shows.
      Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
      "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I disagree. I think there is a corruption modifier in the map size area of the editor. I adjusted that within a similar ratio to the smaller sizes. I have been playing a commercial civ so, that has an effect. But I have been playing on 255x255 with 8 civs, and some of my cities are a few screens away. Yes, there is corruption but nothing too out of hand.
        Yours in gaming,
        ~Luc

Comment

Is bigger better?

I'd like to hear some other people's opinions on this too...

I am going to take a stab at designing a new world map and I need to know what resolution most people would like to have it at. My initial thought was to go with the maximum size since this would provide the most detail. So far, most of the comments on the provided map seem to indicate that things were too small or misshaped.

The biggest problem will be trying to display a realistic Europe since despite being culturally diverse (many civs) it is relatively small compared to larger-area "civs" such as China and the United States. Perhaps later I (or someone else) can tackle a really good European map (and I really good Asian map...and a really good U.S. map...).

And I hope the good people at Firaxis come out with a patch to fix the limited functionality on the editor soon.

Productively yours,
          Dave

Comment

As for the size, I think you should stick to a proportional analogy to the civ2 world map. Since XL world map was like 120X75 (?? I could be wrong about that...) you could try to make a 240X150 map to get things balanced (bigger but in the same analogies).

The "crowded Europe - empty Americas" problem could be adressed with a relative (small) shrinking of the american continent and a (small) inflation of the European.

But... creating a new world map without being able to put the civs in their historical (or desired) starting locations seems kinda lame to me...

Firaxis, a patch for the editor! Prior to the European release, if that is possible (you should have enough input by now, at least on the editor issues...)

Comment

Working...
            X