No announcement yet.

Solution: XP Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about with Voodoo 3 3000, does it help to uninstall the new drivers?

I haven't tried it yet, I'd like to hear from others if it helps or not first.
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Fix to the NVidia slowness problem

Here's how you fix this problem.

1. Go to http://www.guru3d.com/files and click on Videocard Drivers, then NVIDIA detonator drivers. You'll be presented with a list of drivers.

2. Grab the Detonator 12.41 WHQL drivers that are appropriate for your platform. The drivers are in the form of an executable, but at least for Win2K you can open it up in your zip file handler program (I use Powerarchiver myself, but most people use Winzip).

3. Extract the nvoglnt.dll file into the directory that Civ3 is installed (i.e., the directory that the game executable resides in). This works under Win2K, as executables seem to pick up DLLs first in the home directory of the executable, then the system directories. This might not work everywhere. If it doesn't have an effect, then you'll have to place it in your system32 directory or system directory (wherever your current nvoglnt.dll file resides).

This procedure worked for me. Give it a shot...can't hurt...

Comment

kcbrown,

Thanks a lot for the fix! It works great in Win XP.

Comment

Superb stuff - this is the solution. Now I can have the latest Nvidia drivers on my system for all my 3D games and still play Civ III.

Thanks very much for sharing this with everyone!

Comment

Yep, putting that dll file in the civ3 directory has fixed everything for me. Good-o, thanks for the help guys
            If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

I can play the game fine up until I get gunpowder a few turns after which if I go into a city screen everyhting just freezes and Im forced to use trusty old Ctrl-Alt-Del most annoying especially since I was in the middle of a major continental war!

Any help is much appreciated.
              "I have taken far more out of drink than drink has taken out of me."
              Sir Winston Spencer Churchill

Comment

win xp

i have a problem . recently i uploaded the new nvidia drivers
                for xp (that's what i'm running) of course the civ3 won't even wanted to run along with my other programs...
                well i started to unload the drivers
                unfortunatly my downsizing got out of hand i deleted files in civ3 directory
                i'm pissed because quite a few hours of play are gone
                however i can not reinstall the game. because first it tries to uninstall the game.... the files are not there so it copies civ3.exe to windows directory and nothing happens....
                what should i do to install civ3 again?
                i ac cont uninstall civ3 from control panel or use a uninstall from cd...
                norton utilities is fixing the registry but they coming back

Comment

win xp reinstall

my little brother (15) when exerimenting with a new account in win xp deleted my civ3 files (in a directory) now the game wont work (no files) however the reinstall procces is not working because the uninstall program is trying to find civ3 folder (not there
                  i removed it manually (start shorcut along with registry ) using norton utitities 2002 but it won't install.
                  what i'm missing?? i want my game back!!!!

Comment

Problem with the updated patch...

I'm having a problem after downloading the patch.

After downloading the first patch, the game wouldn't work, so I reinstalled the game...no problem.

I downloaded the second patch, and it doesn't work. But now I can't reinstall or uninstall the game, so I'm stuck with a game that I can't play. At least until a fix is produced.

I'm running...

Windows XP Home
                    1.4 Ghz Athlon
                    512 MB RAM
                    40 GB drive

If anyone has had a similar problem and solved it, please let me know...I'm in the process of teaching the Russkis a lesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X