How Does Upgrade Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does Upgrade Work?

Does anyone know how upgrading works? I just discovered gunpowder and built a road to some saltpeter that conveniently appeared next to my city. Now I want to upgrade my Hoplites (I'm Greek) to Musketmen. It lets me upgrade some of them, but not all of them. I can't figure out what the criteria is, and I can't seem to find anything about it in the manual or Civilopedia.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Never mind - I just figured it out myself! You can only upgrade units which are in cities that have barracks.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

I have a Warrior in a city with a Barracks, and I want to upgrade it to a Spearman, but it won't let me!
      Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

Thats because, IIRC, warriors don't upgrade to spearmen.

Comment

How do you tell what upgrades to what?
          How about scout to nuclear missle?
          Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

Originally posted by aebbeka
            How do you tell what upgrades to what?
            How about scout to nuclear missle?
            It tells you in the civilopedia what a unit upgrades too.

However, in the game I'm playing now as the French I can't upgrade my pikeman into musketeers, even though I have the barracks, resources, and necessary gold. Is it that you can't upgrade civ-specific units?

Comment

Working...
            X