No announcement yet.

Great New Ways to Add Units and such...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great New Ways to Add Units and such...

...but where will we get the graphics? Making them for technologies is easy, considering it'll just be that little box there. (Unless there's someplace else you will see that technology?)

I know I'm no artist, so I'll have to depend on other people, as will many others I'm sure. I'm not saying "Go out and make units, wonders, etc for me", but it would be nice if, to keep in stride with the release of ways to add units, someone created general unit graphics, wonder graphics, etc to be used with whatever a user decides to create (So you can make 'em real general. Or real specific if that's what you have in mind) But the point is: someone make some graphics.

Oh, and don't call me lazy. I don't have any graphics editing software, and the stuff costs a bundle. And even if I did have it, I couldn't use it. So I'm simply not talented in that area and requesting the services of people who are.

Bump

Comment

Gimme 7 months and I can help you
      Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

Wasn't it posted someplace on the official site that you could make the game use Civ2-style 2D icons instead of animated units? I don't know how you do that, though. A guess, that I haven't tested (having trouble getting the game to run), is that it uses the 2D icon of the specified number from the file "units_32.pcx" (where it seems to get the icons it shows in the editor) in the \art\units folder if it can't find a folder in the art\units folder with the same name as the unit. There are 10 blank icon cells in "units_32.pcx" - I don't know what happens if you add more.

Comment

Those icons in the .pcx file that you were refering to are used as the icon in the build queue, and in the civilopedia as well i think.

Comment

Originally posted by tulcas
            Those icons in the .pcx file that you were refering to are used as the icon in the build queue, and in the civilopedia as well i think.
            Yes, but the question is whether you can make them be used on the main map screen instead of the animated units. From the 01/19/01 Edition of "Ask the Civ Team":

There has also been some concern that because we are showing animated units on the website, scenario creators will be forced to learn 3D animation programs in order to create units; we can safely say that's not the case. Scenario authors who want to create and use animated units will certainly be able to, but those who wish to use Civ II style single-frame units will be able to do so.

Comment

Well, if someone could provide the specs (photo dimensions/resolution/file format) for the graphics needed for the civilopedia and ingame identifier pics, I can get started on making that stuff via Photoshop.

Better yet, send me the actual graphics from the game, (since I do not have it yet) - and then I could make sure that they are consistent from a stylistic standpoint.

I have not ever made sprites though (2-D or 3-D), but if someone can tell me if it is possible to make the 2-D ones in Photoshop, I can do that also.
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Aren´t the dimensions the same as on the animated units (e.g. under Civ of the week) at civ3.com?
                Blah

Comment

Here is a copy of part of the .ini file for a unit.

[Animations]
                  BLANK=
                  DEFAULT=ScoutDefault.flc
                  WALK=
                  RUN=ScoutRun.flc
                  ATTACK1=
                  ATTACK2=
                  ATTACK3=
                  DEFEND=
                  DEATH=ScoutDeath.flc
                  DEAD=
                  FORTIFY=
                  FORTIFYHOLD=
                  FIDGET=ScoutFidget.flc
                  VICTORY=
                  TURNLEFT=
                  TURNRIGHT=
                  BUILD=
                  ROAD=
                  MINE=
                  IRRIGATE=
                  FORTRESS=
                  CAPTURE=ScoutCaptured.flc
                  STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
                  PauseROAD=
                  PauseMINE=
                  PauseIRRIGATE=
                  JUNGLE=
                  FOREST=
                  PauseFOREST=

Most likely, although I have not tested it, if you replaced the flc file pointers to point to pcx file, the program should work. If not, we may need to make a small flc file with a still unit and point this file to that.
                  Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

Working...
                  X