X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Number One

Just got the game.

Bug #1:
    The installer doesn't seem to check or care about disk space. I forgot that my drive D was fairly full, and chose it as the install drive. In the middle of installing it compains about not enough disk space. Yeah, that's the best time to notice that there isn't enough disk space......

Well, now to PLAY (see you in a week or so )
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Which installers do check for drive space ahead of time anymore?

If they did, people would be complaining that the install takes too long..

Damned if you do; damned if you don't

Comment

It takes less than a second to interrogate the OS to find out how much disk space is free.

Comment

It takes less than a second to interrogate the OS to find out how much disk space is free.
        Yes. The time it takes is just to show up the result.
        It could be only reported if space was not enouth.

But i woudn't call this bug n#1...

I do not want to achieve immortality threw my work. I want to achieve it threw not dying - Woody Allen

Comment

If you do find a bug you should report it in the Bug hunt thread in the Help forum.
          Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

You could just check your drives on your own...I guess that's another reason why Yin isn't buying CivIII (why is he a mod here, anyway?).
            "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
            "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
            "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

I would have thought everybody would know how much free space they had. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

EVERY installer that I can recall since the days of DOS at least made SOME attempt to show how much disk space there was available, or to check that the installation would fit BEFORE it tried to install.

Since I have several partitions on my drive, it sure woulda been nice....

I've seen many complaints about installers that have trouble recognizing disk space. (Baldur's Gate anyone) IMHO, not to even attempt to look is even worse. If this isn't a bug, then it is just plain SLOPPINESS.

Heck, I'm surprised they even bothered to create a desktop icon. In fact, I can see it now....

Installation instructions:

click on Start-Programs-MS DOS Prompt
                in the box that appears type the following:

cd\
                md CIV3
                cd CIV3
                copy d:*.* .
                (please note, if your CD drive letter is not d, use its letter instead of d in d:....)

Anyhow, there's no sense in adding this to the bug list. (How are they going to patch it?) AFAIK, the botched install didn't screw up the registry to the point where the game wouldn't work...
                We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Comment

Working...
                X