WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

WWI and WWII scenarios are not possible with the editor for three very simple reasons:

1. Starting locations are ALWAYS random. So you can't place the Russians in Russia, for instance.

2. Maps ALWAYS wrap around (no European scenarios unless you don't mind the ability to move from Moscow to Portugal by going east!)

3. You can't create cities, only starting locations.

4. You can't place units on the map.

All of these were possible using the old Civ II editor, for crying out loud! I regret having to say this, but I'm hugely disappointed in this editor.
    Last edited by Falconius; November 1, 2001, 11:38.
    Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

So basically this is like saying that no scenarios are possible with Civ3 as it stands now. Just modpacks.

I have just opened a thread asking about confirmation on this, didn't read your post before. I take it that you already have the game, don't you, so this is the confirmation I was looking for...

Arrrgggghhhh!!!
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Re: WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

Originally posted by Falconius
      2. Maps ALWAYS wrap around (no European scenarios unless you don't mind the ability to move from Moscow to Portugal by going east!)
      Heeeey! You know where Portugal is!!! Congratulations!

Well, I'm kindda kidding, because Moscow is pretty north from any portuguese territory, if they were side-by-side!
      If you were in moscow as the edge of the map and went east, you would end in Scotland or even at its sea!

But what you are saying is pretty serious!
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Re: Re: WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

Originally posted by Zealot
        Moscow is pretty north from any portuguese territory, if they were side-by-side!
        Let me clarify my point:

My point IS NOT that Portugal and Moscow are on the same latitude. I used them as an example since they are on opposite ends of Europe.

My point, in fact, is:

THE MAP EDITOR IS AN UNBELIEVABLY USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!! YOU CAN'T PLACE UNITS ON THE MAP, YOU CAN'T PLACE CITIES ON THE MAP, YOU CAN'T EVEN PLACE THE FREAKING RUSSIANS IN RUSSIA. AND...AND YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO HAVE A GLOBAL MAP WHERE END MEETS END!!!!!

Anyway, that was my point. Any questions?

Comment

Re: Re: WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

Falconius, when I said
          But what you are saying is pretty serious!
          I meant that the map editor was really useless! I'm sorry if you thought I was angry for your geographical illustration! I wasn't! It was with... well, I think it's Mike...

Sorry Mike! But Falconius has a very good point!

Falconius, I'm really sorry I let myself being misinterpreted. Please don't be angry with me!
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Re: Re: Re: WWI & WWII Scenarios Not Possible

Please don't be angry with me!
            I'm not, I'm not...

I wasn't yelling at you, I'm just yelling in general because the stupid editor really has me in a rage. I can't believe how useless it is.

Peace and love, Zealot. And a big to you too! (And I mean that in the most macho sense!)

Comment

The game without a doubt was rushed. In fact is easily noticalbe that Civ3 has been rushed. Now the game is still good, but too many advertised and expected features have been left out. Just moments ago I sent a message to Firaxis in hopes that the questions I had will be answered. I feel that my questions are very important for reassurance upon the public and need to be answered.

Now many features that were advertised for Civ3 have not been included. Such as a scenario editor (no possibility for scenario creation yet), MP (hopefully coming at least in the Spring), and other features that were not mentioned by you (Firaxis) but were expected to be in the but have been left out. Such features as having many 'zoom in & out' levels (currently two for the regular game play & one for the game editor) for the regular game play and game editor. Many 'bugs' have also been reported for the game, which is expected. Honestly though, I didn't expect the game to be lacking this many features and included this many bugs. With that being said in all good intent, I was wondering what the future is for patches? Will you only be fixing 'bugs' in patches? Will you only be adding other features, such as scenario editing capabilities? Will you be doing both of those tasks? Also, when is the first patch expected to come out. If all possible could you explain what the hopes (included aspects) for the first patch will be and others after that? Even though, you were expecting a question on MP I will restrain my comments for a later time.[wink] One last question (sorry for the redundancy of questions), will you be looking for suggestions on (such as my request for more 'zoom in & out' levels) added features that would be very minor to the game but improve the overall game?
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

1. Starting locations are ALWAYS random. So you can't place the Russians in Russia, for instance.

3. You can't create cities, only starting locations.

What is the freakin problem with this game?...

Comment

Hey, everybody, chill out... They're working on it...

Put yourself in their shoes. Everybody ever tried making something creative know the pressure from the people who want to see the final result, the moneymakers, who want the return on their investments, and the bankiers, who won't allow you to draw any more cash out of that already drained account.

So you gotta work fast. You still gotta do good, but you gotta do fast. It's not easy to mobilize the guts to stand steadfast on "I'm gonna keep working and polishing until I AM satisfied with it" -so it gets released a little prematurely. I wouldn't worry, since this game is being heavily supported by Firaxis, unlike so many other products which are largely left unsupported once they're out the door.

I believe they should have spoken up about it, but apparently they didn't, because of moneymaking concerns from the publishers. Which is too bad. But not so bad, that all the world falls apart.
                  The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
                  Kaplak Stream

Comment

Originally posted by hardjoy
                    Hey, everybody, chill out... They're working on it...
                    The point is they should have worked on it before they released the game! As far as we knew only multiplayer wasn't in the game. Now we know that other promised features are either incomplete or ommited entirely. Very unprofessional. Scratch off the last developer that I can buy a game from on release day without checking the reviews and playe reactions for a few days before I buy.
                    I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

You gotta be God Damn ****tin me.
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Actually, el awrence, that would be pronounced:

"(silent letter)yetduye(no such letter) (silent letter)U (no such letter)(no such letter)yadzh(no such letter)(no such letter)"

I thought I'd clear that up for you

Seriously, I do think it's kinda lame the shipped it prematurely and without previously established features, especially the ones I was looking forward to!

Comment

This editor definately needs some work. I have been simply trying to redifine some of the basic unit and game parameters, but doing this is causing CivIII to act strange.

And I mean- I am changing basic unit stats, and things like 'not being able to select next advance' is happening.

-edit-

Ok, the thing with not being able to choose techs seems to be related to loading a custom scenario, instead of modyfing the default .bic file. Odd.

Comment

Actually, JamesJKirk, that would not be pronunced:

"(silent letter)yetduye(no such letter) (silent letter)U (no such letter)(no such letter)yadzh(no such letter)(no such letter)"
                              Rather:

Betjaasched (soft)che G(no such letter)jaa(no such letter, almost an "sche"-sound/letter though)(no such letter)(no such letter)

I thought I'd clear that up for you

(Sorry for being off topic)
                              This thread may contain traces of nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X