What you can edit with text files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you can edit with text files

Alright, I'm going to try and organize what exactly can be edited using the text files and what can but shouldn't be edited.

I'll post all of the text files zipped if anyone wants to mess with them.

A 'basename.txt' file whaich appears as if it is used after the nation specific names are used up.

The labels for the different parts of the city view appear to be editable under the 'cityview.txt' file, but... I don't know what will happen.

There is a 'civolopedia.txt' file where all of the information can be changed. I would imagine that there wouldn't be too much of a problem editing this file.

There is a 'credits.txt' file, which could be changed

A 'diplomacy.txt' file which contains every possible dialogue that can occur with the computer. This seems easily adjusted and could make for a much better scenario.

There is a 'Great Books.txt' file. You can add or change who writes the great books, what they are titled (don't know if this will change what info it goes for though so it could make it seem stupid), what the ranks are called and which ranks are shown (useful for a more than 8 civ game).

There is a 'labels.txt' file which contains about every word used in the game. I have no idea what it does.

A 'leader names.txt' file which is empty.

A 'leadergeneric.txt' file in which it states that these are not nation specific. Some leaders included are Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs.

A 'menu.txt' file containing a lot of things that I would be scared to change. Basically the names for everything in the menu is in there.

A 'New cityview.txt' file. It has some interesting things that could be changed for scenarios.

A 'PalaceView.txt', which I find extremely interesting because it contains what pic files are to be used when constructing the palace.

A 'PedialIcons.txt file, which provides the name of what pic to grab for what civolopedia entry.

A 'play the world.txt' file which is a little confusing but looks like a way to dl 'Games of the week' or 'day' and compare your score with others who played the same game.

A 'script.txt' file which I think contains every random event in it. I think this is something a lot of people were looking for...

A 'Tutorial.txt' file which is the pre-scripted tutorial, it may be useful to say show a movie type sequence to get a game started.

A 'Version.txt' file which is what it says. My copy is version 1.07f.

Thoughts? Mistakes? Additions?

OK, the stupid file is too big if I zip all of them at once, so I will zip half here, and half in the next post.
    Attached Files
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Here are the rest of the text files.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, a lot of great info

Most interesting for me is indeed the script.txt it seems to include many standard messages (like the game.txt of civ2) , I´m pretty optimistic that an implementation of real events by FIraxis is only a matter of time...

Labels.txt seems to have the same function as in civ2, it is extremely useful for adding more atmosphere to scenarios (e.g. lets say you have a scifi scn , you can change the term "city" in the labels to "starbase", which will then appear in the game everywhere instead "city" )
      Blah

Comment

OK, does that mean that I only have to change the name there, or will I have to change every instance of it?

What happens if I just want warriors, can I change all the names to 'Warrior'? and it will grab the right pics, etc.?

What if I put in the name 'Caveman' do I then need to add or change a floder so that there is a 'Caveman' folder in the units directory?

Comment

Can anybody answer my questions?

Comment

The script.txt looks sweet, much like game.txt combined with most of the other txt-files of Civ2.

But we still need flat maps, and a way to place cities and units, and to set up each civilization?

As well as some means of setting objectives and victory conditions? How can do this without triggers/actions, or without even a simple scenario objective scoring system?

-And MactBone, I honestly don't know. With Civ2 you had to change the names of things in the labels.txt and some times in a few other txt-files as well. Guess it's the same thing here.
            The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
            Kaplak Stream

Comment

To rename a unit in a scenario from "Warrior" to "Cavemen" , first rename it in the editor.

Then, copy and paste the Warrior folder.
              Rename the pasted Warrior folder to Cavemen.
              Then, inside the Cavemen folder, there should be a file named "Wariror.ini"
              Rename that file to "Cavemen.ini"

There.
              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone
                OK, does that mean that I only have to change the name there, or will I have to change every instance of it?

What happens if I just want warriors, can I change all the names to 'Warrior'? and it will grab the right pics, etc.?

What if I put in the name 'Caveman' do I then need to add or change a floder so that there is a 'Caveman' folder in the units directory?
                Yup, Bill3000 is right, rename units in the editor.

The labels.txt is for many terms used normally be the game, but not for unit names. To give you an example in Civ2 the labels.txt contained also terms that were used in various popups or in the city view. Simply experiment a bit - but make backups before...

hardjoy, yes we need more scn options. I just send a mail to Firaxis about this - everyone here should do the same...
                Blah

Comment

So what has everyone tried to change with the text files?

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone
                    So what has everyone tried to change with the text files?
                    I've fixed a variable swap in the diplomacy.txt

More info can be found in the official bug list thread.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I added oil as a resource necessary to build nuclear subs (in addition to uranium) in the Editor. Then I modified the civilopaedia.txt file to include the necessary change in the in-game version...hyperlink and all. Very cool...

T

Comment

Working...
                      X