Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEMPORARY video refresh rate fix for nVidia cards/Windows 2000/XP (maybe 98/ME too)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried it and it didnt work. Nothing worked until I changed my Monitor from Default to the correct driver in the System manager.

Everything peachy now.

Comment

Nope, actually a Geforce DDR.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Bump

Firaxis people - Are y'all going to fix this problem???
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

My display adapter allow me to set the screen to 1024 x 768. However, when I checked the registry key 4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 as mentioned by Dire Wolf earlier the maximum screen area listed is 640 x 480.

Example:
          8 640 480 60 70 72 75 85 100 120 0

Does this mean my display settings are lying to me? I have a 15" monitor. Do I need to get bigger one?

My system specs:
          System specs:
          800 MHz AMD Duron
          640 MB SDRAM
          32 MB GeForce 2 MX
          Windows 2000 Pro
          30 GB with plenty of empty space
          15" MAG monitor
          DirectX 8.1
          BIOS, Nvidia drivers are updated

Comment

I HAVE A EASY EASY FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            go into the civilization3.ini file and add refresh=60(or whatever u want it to be) then it will work no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

...and where might this civilization3.ini be found, wise one?

Comment

Found it! It doesn't work, though.

Comment

Haaaleluja!

It does actually work!
                  I had to uninstall my driver for my NVidia GeForce2 Ti first, though.
                  Maybe it overrides the civilization3.ini or something.

Well, I'll be off, then. I have some important ... stuff ... to attend to (Yes, that'll do).

Thanks, everybody.

Comment

the reg thingy...

Tbh i can find the settings thing in regedit and NV MODES init but thats all im getting, in NV MODES there are screen resolutions but no refresh rates

i have WIN XP and a Geforce 4 MX 440 if that can help, Thx in advance...

Btw i tried KeepRes=1 and Refresh=60 already and it didnt work.

Civ3 start menu worked once, when i was continuasly pressing ctrl alt del to get out of the game cos the screen was all mixed u .... u know wot i mean,

then everything went black i could only see the start menu. So i pressed preferences didnt see anything bout changing resolution...

So i decided to just play and i pressed new game and the whole thing crashed...

Neways ANY help is welcome... Thx in advance

Edit: Dont bother anymore, i have found a program called Reforce, its auto searches the refresh rate for each resolution your monitor can handle, its a box displayed like this: Width Heigt Hz

For example 1024 768 120

In my case i needed hz 60 so i clicked the 120 few times and change it to 60

I started Civ3 and voila, works perfect

You can find it here : http://home.online.no/~lustroem/reforce/ReForce.exe

-Muggeh
                    Last edited by Muggeh; April 8, 2004, 17:39.

Comment

Hey guys, I also had this problem, but of a diffrent kind. YOu see my 9600 Pro card seems to have a refresh rate problem. At 60Hz a horizontal..wave gos up my screen..at any other refresh rate my screen vibrates. So when launching this game, the menu starts vibrateing... ¬_¬

So, fortunately as a ATI user, it was very very simple to fix the problem. IF you are useing the latest Catalyst drivers, then go to your ATI Icon, right click, go to settings, display settings. Once the Advanced display settings box comes up, go to the tab labled 'Displays'. Under that tab you'll see a button named monitor. (it'll have a piccy of a monitor under it.) Click it and it brings up a lil Menu. Hit the blue button that says 'Use DCC Information'. That makes two drop menus avalible nearby, under the drop menu labled Maximum Refresh...Put it to whatever your setup can handle. And thats that, it works perfectly.
                      RawR

Comment

Is this the thing where once you install Civ 3 it starts with a black screen with a funny noise in the background?

I got that but installed Conquests straight away after and that fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                        X