Apolytoner's favorite Civ2 scenarios - an idea list for Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolytoner's favorite Civ2 scenarios - an idea list for Civ3

Here's a thread listing some of our favorite scenarios, including lists by some of the best scenario designers. I would say the combination of all of the favorites represent the best of all of the Civ2 scenarios.

This is posted to show what has been done and what we can learn from them as we move to Civ3 (without reinventing the wheel, so to speak)...both from a topic and content/quality point of view.

I really really want to see a remake of Imperial Pride by Leon Marrick, but I don't think he's into Civving anymore (haven't seen anything new by him for a long time ) The AI really ruined the scenario (esp. cheating and making the island cities size 12) but I feel that I'd be great on Civ3.

Also Arabia Awakens by him too. And Harlan's Vikings scenario. And a WWII Pacific scenario.
    A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

Civ2 scenarios for Civ3...

Here are the lists of the best Civ2 scenarios in which I sure many folks would love to see a Civ3 version. (No attempt was made to eliminate duplications, I just copied and pasted all of the top 10 lists.)

1. WW2 in Europe - Harlan Thompson
      2. Red Front - Captain Nemo
      3. Second Front - Captain Nemo
      4. Colonies III - John Ellis
      5. Imperium Romanum - BeBro
      6. Mongols V 3.0 - Harlan Thompson
      7. Crises of the New World Order - Andrew Livings
      8. Russian Civil War - Techumseh
      9. The River War - Allard H.S.
      10. The Cruel Sea - Yours Truely (hey, I made it for my own enjoyment!)

1 - Imperium Romanum by BeBro.
      2 - Red Front by Nemo, although it was difficult to start
      3 - Crises of the New World Order by Andrew Livings
      4 - WW2 in Japan, by R.K.S Lee. Doubt anone has heard of it, it's an oldie but a goodie. Just a scenario; not a mod.
      5 - 2194 Days of War, by Nemo. annoying if you're not Palying Germany, though. The German units are too good!
      6 - The Cruel Sea, by Case
      7 - Kull's Ancient Empires: End of he Bronze Age
      8 - The Second Reich by Michael Jezenka
      9 - Up the Deadly Boot by John Petroski
      10 - The Odyssey, I forget who.

1. Of Celts and Iberians by Jesús Balsinde
      2. El Dorado by Jesús Balsinde
      3. Gangster by Cam Hills
      4. Dungeon: Heroes of Beckhorn by Blackclove
      5. Up the Deadly Boot by John Petroski
      6. Subwar by Bebro (I haven't played all of it, but it's great)
      7. Underdark by Mr. Temba
      8. I dunno, maybe Spartacus?

1. 1650 by Mark Ellis
      2. Mexico 2.0 by Jesus Balsinde
      3. Fall of the Western Roman Empire by Mark Laanen
      4. Fictional Americas by Yours Truly
      5. Orbis Terrae by Mercator (Jorrit Vermeiren)
      6. Mongols 2.0 by Harlan Thompson
      7. El Dorado by Jesus Balsinde
      8. Alba de America by Jesus Balsinde
      9. Vikings 3.1 by Harlan Thompson
      10. Imperium Romanum by Bernd Brosing

1. Eldorado (Jesús Balsinde)
      2. Mongols 3.1 (Harlan Thompson)
      3. Mexico 2.0 (Jesús Balsinde)
      4. Orbis Terrae (me)
      5. X-Com (FW add-on)

-Red Front by Nemo (Remember Sergeïs letter to Natasha...)
      -Imperium Romanum by BeBro
      -Kull's Ancient Empires: End of he Bronze Age
      -Slash n'Burn by ? (I'd really like to know...)
      -Cold War X by ?
      -Lord of the Rings by ?
      -Second Front by Nemo
      -Jules Verne by ?
      -Blitz by Nemo
      -Scenario on Magyars by Jeszenka

1. Red Front by Alex Mor/Nemo
      2. Raging Dragon by Case
      3. 2194 Days of War by Alex Mor/Nemo
      4. Spartakus by Alex Mor/Nemo
      5. Russian Civil war by Alex Mor
      6. Cruel Sea by Case
      7. Invasion of Australia by Case
      8. Subwars by BeBro
      9. Crisis of the New world order by Andrew Livings
      10. WW1 by John Petroski

Collonies II/III - John Ellis

Imperium Romanum - Bernd Brosing

Red Front - Captain Nemo

30 Years War (version 2!) - Jesús Muñoz Fernandez

Age of War (for PBEMs only) - Exile

Hellas - John Ellis

Brown Mans Burden (for MP) - Carl Fritz

Modern Age - Exile

1. Red Front (Nemo/Alex)
      2. Imperium Romanium (Bernd Brosing)
      3. War of Cuba (Jeus Balsinde)
      4. The River War (Allard S. Hofelt)
      5. Second Front (Nemo)
      6. Age of Piracy (Shay Yates Roberts)
      7. Mars Now! (Microprose)
      8. Star Trek: Dominion War (Kobayashi)
      9. Pitt's War (Gothmog)
      10. Raging Dragon (Case)

1. Red Front- C'mon, everyone loves Red Front! The units, the strategies, the overwhelming sense of accomplishment you get when the tide finally turns and you start pushing the Germans BACK; it's a wonderful scenario.

2. Second Front- the unit management required and the innovation (air force and ground troops are seperate civs, motorized units need fuel, etc.) were very good points, running around liberating France was fun, not as much fun as running around, liberating the SU, but almost.

3. Imperium Romanum- I loved this scenario for two reasons:
      a. I've always been fond of the "conquer the whole map when you start with one city" concept; b. it was actually POSSIBLE!

4. Spartacus- This scenario was... fun. Really, I can't think of a better justification, but I think it's one of the only scenario's that tells a story of a group of people and not history in general, I've yet to see actual CONVERSATIONS in another scenario.

5. Cruel Sea- Also one of the sheer "fun" ones. No land units, goal is achieved by sinking more Allied ships than they can sink of yours. I get a great feeling of accomplishment whenever I could find a bunch of unprotected frieghters and sink them.

6. River War- Another "run around, conquering the map" scenario. It was a little light in terms of difficulty and amount of care required (you only had to worry about losing the good units) but it was still fun.

7. Star Trek: Dominion War- A great scenario, requiring a lot of strategy, I don't rate this higher because of an overwhelming sense of "Argh, there's so much to do, where the hell do I start?!" one gets while playing it.

8. Raging Dragon- I'd like this scenario more... but for some reason I can never bring myself to actually finish a turn, I am a perfectionist, and I can't be sure how far to progress is too far, or how many casualties are too many. But, I can tell this is a great scenario, and I'd probably love it if I could get myself to work at it.

9. Ansteig- A huge WWII scenario, I loved this one because I actually beat it, and succeeded in wiping all but the spanish and neutrals from the map. Despite some bugs, it was fun.

10. Any Harlan Thompson Scenario- Yes, I think it's fair to group them all together. Harlan Thompson scenarios are, by definition, impossible to win, but it's always fun to try, just for awhile.

1 - "Of Celts and Iberians" - Jesús Balsinde
      2 - "Red Front" - Captain Nemo
      3 - "The River War" - Allard S. Hoefelt
      4 - "Lord of the Rings" - Harlan Thompson
      5 - "End of he Bronze Age" - Kull
      6 - "Seize the crown!" - John Ellis
      7 - "Vikings - Across the Ocean" Mathias Köster
      8 - "Holy Roman Empire" - Jesús Munoz
      9 - "Cruel Sea" - Case
      10 - "Rome 280BC" - Rick Westera

1. Yougoslavie
      2. Imperium Romanium
      3. Exodus
      4. Rise of Moscow
      5. Turks
      6. Spartacus
      7. Alba de America
      8. Byzantium - Fall and resurrection of an empire
      9. Ethipoia
      10. 30 years war

1. Red Front by Captain Nemo and Alex Morozov
      2. Second Front by Captain Nemo
      3. The Cruel Sea by Case
      4. Second Reich by Michael Jezenka
      5. Russian Civil War by Alex Morozov
      6. Europe in Flames by Michael Jezenka
      7. River War by Allard HS
      8. Toussaint L'Overture (right name?) by Blacklove
      9. Up the Deadly Boot by John Petroski (He's coming out with Boot II, much improved!)
      10. Yougosavie by François Baire

1: Red Front
      2. Second Reich
      3. Hellas
      4. Blitz
      5. The Boer War
      6. Age of Piracy
      7. Spartacus
      8. Colonies III
      9. Second Front
      10. End of the Bronze Age

1. Crises of the New World Order - How come there aren`t more people that like this scenario? It`s brilliant! The challenge of creating your own perfect society while having to deal with outside influences is one that has never been done in Civ2 before. Plus, you can lead the EU to supreme domination over the globe!

2. Al-Andalus - This is good, honest fun. The map is wonderful, the unit graphics are all excellent, and the setting is great. Pure conquering. Excellent.

3. Mongols 3.1 - A brilliant challenge, perfectly executed. The possibilities are endless! Do you charge straight into China with your horsemen, or build up a substantial army and culture in India or the Middle East?

4. Star Trek Dominion War - I don`t like Star Trek as a rule, but kobayashi does excellent ST scenarios, no two ways about it. Dominion War is, I feel, his finest work to date. The graphics are top notch and the gameplay is well balanced. He has clearly put a lot of work in to making sure the challenge remains until the very end, and has created an excellent scenario in the process.

5. The New Germany - An open-ended, if slightly historically inaccurate WW2 scenario. But who cares? For once, we have a WW2 scenario that allows you to change history, rather than just be an innocent bystander in it.

6. Time of Thunder - A well-designed, fun scenario that doesn`t fuss about with tons of frilly extra events and such. Seeing how well you can do as the Dutch is without a doubt the best way to play this!

7. Liortage - A scenario that creates a fantasy in the vein of LotR, with characters and a powerful threat that can only be defeated by co-operation. Another fun total war scenario.

8. Seize the Crown - Fighting to become the undisputed King of England is a tough challenge, and an interesting one at that. A true re-creation of these troubled times, with good graphics to boot.

9. USA 2010 - An excellent futuristic scenario that provides a fun game and a good challenge. The Hi-Tech modpack has provided scenario designers with graphics and inspiration for years.

10. Justinian the Great - A little known scenario that deals with a period of history often ignored by designers; the beginnings of the Byzantine Empire. Can Justinian rebuild the Roman Empire, or will the Barbarian hordes destroy him? A good challenge.

Imperium Romanum

2194DaysofWar

30 Years War

Ansteig

New Discover ***Unreleased

RedFront

WWII Expanded *** Unreleased

Gettysburg

The Blitz ***Unreleased

Kyokujitsu ***Unreleased

Second Front

Stalingrad ***Unreleased