Adding New Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding New Units

How do you add a new unit in the editor? Every time I try, the game crashes as soon as the new unit becomes available. Am I missing some text file to edit or something?

Take a look in the creation forum, iirc there is a tutorial there.

Comment

One problem that I commonly have is misspellings in PediaIcons.txt, Civilopedia.txt, or the unit's .ini files. Make sure the spelling in those files matches the names of the animation, sound, and picture files they're referencing. If there's a misspelling in the .txt or .ini files, the game will give a 'missing file' error. Pay attention to the error, because that will give you a clue to what the problem is.

Many fan-made units that I've downloaded have had spelling errors in the .ini files. (You can edit an .ini file using Notepad.) Other times, the unit uses sounds of another unit, and the .ini file uses a relative path to reference that unit's sounds. What I do in that case is remove the path, leaving just the sound file name in the .ini. Then copy the sound file into the folder of the new unit. For example, if it says "..\Swordman\SwordmanFortify.wav" in the .ini file, replace it with "SwordmanFortify.wav". Then copy the SwordmanFortify.wav file directly into the folder of your new unit. Be careful when doing this with .amb files. These files are made up of two or more .wav files that must be copied over along with the .amb file. For example, InfantryAttack.amb is made up of InfantryAttackExplosion.wav and InfantryAttackReload.wav.

Hope that helps.
      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Working...
      X