In some ways; Civ3: conquests is better than Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In some ways; Civ3: conquests is better than Civ4

Civ4 is starting to annoy me at the moment. I'm almost tempted to go back to civ3. .

But I think what I'll end up doing is modding civ4 to my liking. I can't understand why the designers did some of the things they did.

I play a game to have fun, not to be annoyed.

I think I can understand that a bit. I also miss some features from civ3. It's probably natural. Each game is different and has its own unique plus and minuses.

I don't think civ3 was as bad as everyone made it out to be -- well, after they fixed it with the patches to PTW...and v1.15 on C3C. Then it was very playable.

People complained about the graphics in civ3, but you could mod those as well. Sn00py had some awesome graphic packs for civ3.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I have finally got Civ4 working (I think) but I just do not like it. All those graphics just get in the way as far as I am concerned. Cannot seem to get past them to get involved with the game.
      Going back to Conquests.

Comment

If you like PBEM games, Daddy-O has also made a decision to stick wtih civ3 conquests. You can find some of his postings in the Civ3-PBEM forum.

he would be pleased to hear from someone else staying with c3c -- especially if you are interested in PBEMs. He's a decent guy if you are interested.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I think it is fine to go ahead and play III, but comparing IV to Conquest at this point seems unfair.

I mean C3C is the final product of about 4 years of work on III. All we have at this point is two months. When they get the last addon and the last patch, then we can see how they compare.

I suspect I will like both, but I am not sure which will be my favorite of the two.

Comment

The real question is wether CivIII will ever be considered a classic like Civ II was. I mean, will people play it far beyond it's time like Civ II ? I don't get a nostalgic feeling playing it like I did with Civ II ( and SMAC ). I kinda get the feeling like it's dead.
            I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

i prefer rhye's of civilization mod. it isnt as slow running as civ 4 and has many of civ 4's features. it's also a huge improvment of C3C

Comment

Re: In some ways; Civ3: conquests is better than Civ4

Originally posted by Dis
                Civ4 is starting to annoy me at the moment. I'm almost tempted to go back to civ3. .

But I think what I'll end up doing is modding civ4 to my liking. I can't understand why the designers did some of the things they did.

I play a game to have fun, not to be annoyed.
                What are you missing in Civ4? Most of the good stuff from Civ3 is in Civ4
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Barington
                  I have finally got Civ4 working (I think) but I just do not like it. All those graphics just get in the way as far as I am concerned. Cannot seem to get past them to get involved with the game.
                  Going back to Conquests.
                  Try toggling on the grid while you play. I did this, and it, for some reason, reduced the annoyance of the graphics (esp. units).
                  "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                  I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                  --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Working...
                  X