Where to Place Those Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Place Those Cities?

As a city seems to always put out 2 shields, 1 gp and 2 food, is there a tile arrangement where it's better to put them on as opposed to not?

Example. If I put a town on a tundra square, it still gives that as it's output, thus making the square a more viable piece of terrain. Now it's surrounding terrain might suck, but...I've just improved the real estate dramatically.

Putting towns on hills. Defensive bonus? Putting towns on a hill next to a river= best place to put a town?

If you put a town on a forest, does it "Clear" the forest for you?

Putting towns on shielded grasslands. Is it a waste of a shielded grassland if there's regular grassland or plain nearby?

Is there any advantage to putting a town right on top of a bonus tile like a cow or sugar stack?

(Sorry, just never got an instruction booklet here.)

Any other points about town placement? Things to avoid/ be wary of? Right now, I'm a fan of keeping things very tight (about three spaces away from each other).

"As a city seems to always put out 2 shields, 1 gp and 2 food, is there a tile arrangement where it's better to put them on as opposed to not?

Example. If I put a town on a tundra square, it still gives that as it's output, thus making the square a more viable piece of terrain. Now it's surrounding terrain might suck, but...I've just improved the real estate dramatically."

Correct.

"Putting towns on hills. Defensive bonus? Putting towns on a hill next to a river= best place to put a town?"

Apparently there is a defensive bonus. I've never really noticed.

"If you put a town on a forest, does it "Clear" the forest for you?"

Yes. Same with jungle. You have to clear marsh land first though.

"Putting towns on shielded grasslands. Is it a waste of a shielded grassland if there's regular grassland or plain nearby?"

Yes

"Is there any advantage to putting a town right on top of a bonus tile like a cow or sugar stack?"

No

"Any other points about town placement? Things to avoid/ be wary of? Right now, I'm a fan of keeping things very tight (about three spaces away from each other"

There was a big debate on city spacing. It all depends on the map. If you dig through the must read thread at the top of the strategy column you'll get the digested wisdom.

Apologies for the yes no answers but it is a friday afternoon.

JATF

Comment

Lol. Happy Friday.
      Thx for the help, just verifying the things I'm pretty sure of.

Comment

Using a hill to found a town is very good if oyu expect it to be attacked and maybe under defended. It is something I use in Always war games or for invasion towns for sure.

As a rule it if best to not found on top of resources/lux. The main reason is that tile could be worked for the bonus now. It is still something one does often for luxresource in cases where you want to ensure it cannot be cut off.

Spacing is a some what debatable issue, but if you play at least at emperor you will find little debate. The so called OCP will not be used by many at or above that level.

For bad start and smallish islands, tighter spacing is required.

Comment

For early cities, I recommend you optimize the corruption factor above other considerations by using distance to help determine city placement.

For more on optimized city placement, read this:

I'll move a city to another equal-distance square to avoid founding cities on shielded grassland, or resources. Generally, beating corruption will give the greatest gains.

Like jatf, if you are in great need of a defensive hill bonus for any but a very select few bottleneck cities, you've got bigger issues to worry about.

Comment

Working...
          X