Map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map size

is there are a way to make the game generate a very very large random map?
    i know you can download oversized maps but i would like to let the game generate random ones to play on

is there something simple i can change for this to happen?

One way is to use the editor and make the size up to 362x362 for Conquest. You can set the number of civs up to 31.

Make a bunch of them and save them and then you can pick one to play later. This way you probably will not recall all that much about the map, especially if you do not look it over while it is generated.

Comment

hmm yeah should have thought of that tbh

is there anyway to alter the peramiters that teh game uses to create a map tho?
      an .ini file or even a patch?

Comment

hmmi have just tryed to do that in basic civ 3 patched to 1.29f (i think?) and there is no option to set mapsize,only thechoices or small/med/lrg etc

am i missing something?

Comment

Are you using Vanilla?
          Siga El Conejo Blanco
          Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
          | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

yeah
            just plain civ 3

Comment

Civ3 can only have 16 civs and PTW 24 , while Conquest can have 32. Note that one of the 32 is for barbs, so only 31 effective civs.

Comment

im not too bothered about number of civs
                i want to get teh game to generate random maps of a similar size to marla singers worldmap eg. v big

Comment

Originally posted by -Ab-
                  im not too bothered about number of civs
                  i want to get teh game to generate random maps of a similar size to marla singers worldmap eg. v big
                  But this may not be possible on Vanilla, I am not sure and please dont take my words as gospel, wait for others to confirm, but I do not know that Vanilla civ3 had the ability to randomize (through the editor) that size of maps. Thats why I asked.
                  Siga El Conejo Blanco
                  Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                  | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

there must be a way even if its thru the editor cause unless im mistaken marla singers worldmap came out long b4 any of the add on packs for civ3

there must be a line of code somewhere that says a huge map is such and such x whatever all i need is soem instructions on how to change it

Comment

I cannot recall the max size in C3. It was increased in Conquest. She remade the map for PTW so I am not sure what the original size was in vanilla. I would guess around 250x250.

Comment

if you want to generate random oversized maps you must go into the editor and generate a clean map first, that is all water !

Then edit the rules for map sizes which you should find in the editor.

Then save as(choose a name for your scenario)

you can then load the scenario and it should generate a random map for you at the size setting you were looking for

In vanilla number of civs will be 16 max.
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

That's not necessary. Just go to World Sizes in the editor and change the settings for huge maps. The game will use those numbers every time it creates a random map. I don't recall what the maximum for vanilla civ is though. I think 180 X 180 but I'm not sure.

Anything much above that becomes redundant anyway because of the maximum number of cities in the game. 362 X 362 as in Conquests is useless since you can never have enough cities to fill the map. I found 256 X 256 with no cities allowed on Desert or Tundra to be about right.

Comment

thx for teh help guys

Anything much above that becomes redundant anyway because of the maximum number of cities in the game. 362 X 362 as in Conquests is useless since you can never have enough cities to fill the map
                            thats what i want,im sick of the map being exactly 100% full by about 1000ad
                            it would be nice to have some parts of the world to explore in the late game,perhaps somewhere that you could find luxuries or a critical resourse

Comment

hmm i tryed changing it in teh editor but it doesnt seem to work

Edit:ah no i found it now thx all

Comment

Working...
                              X