Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchased Civ3 at the bargain bin, are the expansions worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased Civ3 at the bargain bin, are the expansions worth getting?

Conquests got good reviews, although PTW did not. Which of them should I get if any?

Thanks.

Conquests includes PTW, so get that. Conquests is quite an improvement over vanilla Civ3, so you better get it.

It should last you until Civ4 is out .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Oh, I didn't know that. www.civ3.com makes it seem like the new Civlization III: Complete package comes with BOTH PTW and Conquests.

So if I just get Conquests, I'll have all the Civs and additions from PTW?

Comment

Yep, you will. Only thing missing will be the fan scenarios, mods, etc. they included on the PTW disc, but most to all of them can be downloaded for free anyway.

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot guys, I'll pick Conquests up the next time I'm out.

Could you fill me in on some must-have mods or user-created patches?

Comment

Must have is a matter of taste. If you like scenarios, there should be plenty out there for you to find (though the Conquests will keep you busy for a while there). Maps, ditto. Rules mods are most definitely a matter of taste.

There are also some good graphics mods out there. Sn00py's terrain and Warpstorm's watercolor terrain are the two big sets I know of that replace nearly all the terrain. I'd highly recommend either over the default Civ3 terrain; you should be able to find them somewhere in the files forum.

Comment

I'll check out the files section.

One last thing, Gamespot.com lists the latest Civ3-vanilla patch as 1.29f but I can't find this file on the official site for some reason. They only offer patches for Conquests and PTW. Does this mean that I should wait until getting the expansion before installing any patches? I don't want to cause any incompatibilities.

So do I install the civ3 1.29f patch now, or wait to install the Conquests expansion and then get the 1.22 patch?

Comment

Originally posted by ZimbuTheMonkey
                Oh, I didn't know that. www.civ3.com makes it seem like the new Civlization III: Complete package comes with BOTH PTW and Conquests.
                Hold on! You don't need to buy anything after Complete.

Now gaming fans can enjoy what Time Magazines calls the "Greatest Computer Strategy Game of All-Time" with Sid Meier's Civilization III: Completeâ„¢. Civilization III: Complete includes Civilization III plus the Play the World Multiplayer and Conquests expansion packs. Civilization III: Complete provides more ways to win, pathways to explore, strategies to employ as well as exciting online modes of play. Experience a game of epic proportions and match wits with the greatest leaders of the world.
                Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
                The continuing saga of The Five Nations
                A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

I know.

I just bought Civ3-vanilla for 10 bucks, and am looking to purchase one of the expansions.

So, any answer to my patch question?

Comment

On the main menu in the Lower Left corner you will see the version number. Install 1,29f now and after you install Conquests just check to make sure you still have the right one.

Go to ther Civ3 page here on 'Poly. You'll probably find 1.29f in the Patch Center.
                    Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
                    The continuing saga of The Five Nations
                    A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Conquests expansion includes the 1.29f patch to vanilla and a "full install" of PTW last patch. (Minus the extras, but those are free on civ iii's site.)

What's actually needed is after installing conquests is to download and install the latest conquest patch.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                        Conquests expansion includes the 1.29f patch to vanilla and a "full install" of PTW last patch. (Minus the extras, but those are free on civ iii's site.)

What's actually needed is after installing conquests is to download and install the latest conquest patch.
                        Yep. You don't need to patch Civ3 unless you want to start playing before Conquests arrives.

And definitely do patch Conquests. Pre-1.15 Conquests is incredibly borken.

Comment

On Topic: If you liked stock Civ3, then I'd definitely spring for Conquests if I were you. It adds some really nice features and fixes a couple of issues. I've played all three and now only play Conquests

Off Topic: Do the letters "HBMS" mean anything to you, Zimbu? If so, then I owe you a nice big hello. I'll let you know what/who I mean next time I see you

Comment

Working...
                          X