Reverse ROP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse ROP

The talk about ROP attacks caused me to remember a favorite tactic. I've used it in a Random Civ Emperor game (Egyptians) that I am playing right now.

Situation: I'm at peace with the four other civs on my continent. They are all, well, except for the Japanese who triggered my late MA GA, Gracious. We have had ROPs for a while which has kept them happy while I nicked off parts of Japan.

Boom, Carthage tries to ROP me with no success. I quickly pay Babylon and Spain to MPP with me which denies Carthage most of its access to me. I clean up on CArthage.

As the AI sees Carthage going weak, the Japanese on the other side of me declare war on the Carthagenians and start sending all manner of troops across my territory. I place riflemen in the cities they pass and let them go.

The Japanese troops just reach the far side of Egypt as Carthage capitulates. Spain's MPP expires and Babylons will in two turns.

I heal and prepare for 2 turns, demand the Japanese to leave - which of course they won't - and massacre every unit in my country. Babylon also has a MPP with Japan so I don't want to trigger that. Next turn, Babylon declares on Japan, the MPP ends, and I have minimal forces to deal with in my conquest. Certainly, ALL of their cavalry expired on the plains of Thebes the turn before.

This would be a story that Paddy might like if was not too lazy to turn it into one.

I call this tactic the Reverse ROP.

Golden Bear

I like it when someone tries to attack me using a ROP with a neighbor. I use heavy diplomacy to get the ROP canceled then sit back and watch the attack fizzle, hopefully with the added benefit of a conflict that punishes both the attacker and my neighbor. I called it Revoked ROP.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I like that tactic still. I love watching the AI sqander its military on cities that can only gve them 1 shield/turn.

Heavy diplomacy? What do you mean? Paying fistfuls of cash so your neighbor attacks your enemy?
      Last edited by realpolitic; December 6, 2005, 15:59.

Comment

Heavy diplomacy? What do you mean? Paying fistfuls of cash so your neighbor attacks your enemy?

Comment

Whatever it takes within reason (gold, an unimportant tech, handing back a city on the border that was pounded down to next to nothing, etc).
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
          X