New monitor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor problem

I set up a new Samsung 19" LCD yesterday, replacing a Dell 19" CRT.

I'm running at 1280x1024, but when I launch Civ3, it seems to kick my desktop and apps back to 1024x768.

I thought I had put a line in the INI file way back when that would force a match in resolutions... is there something I am doing wrong or have forgotten?

(BTW, the new monitor is fantastic, and a screaming bargain at appr. $325 incl. delivery! )
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

My laptop does the same thing and I had resigned myself to the apparent inevitablity of it all. I also have the .ini entry you speak of.

If there's a solution to this, I'm also interested.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I found this
      What resolution does Civ3 run in?
      Is it the ini change your speaking of?

Comment

KeepRes=1

It should work just fine. I know it does for me, just checked (no, I do not have a LCD monitor, and mine is only 17', but it can go 1280x1024).

The "Video Mode" option does not seem to work, though. It did almost what you describe: forced Civ3 (and the Windows desktop while the game ran) to go 1024x768.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I never noticed.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Theseus did you ever get this to work for you on the new flat panel?

Comment

Yes... I must have done a re-install at some point and forgotten to add KeepRes=1 to the INI file. Works just great.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I recently reinstalled too, and have not been able to get KeepRes=1 to work. My screen still end up in 1024x768. I can get it to switch to 870X640
                If it makes a difference, I only reinstalled civ3 with last patch. (due to conquest cd being scratched

Comment

Solved problem by simply buying a new Princeton 19" LCD flat screen monitor
                  Attached Files

Comment

that is a thing of beauty...

I understand that LCD monitors are good for games like Civ, but I've read somewhere that they're not good for fast action games, like FPSs.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Yes, apparently the response time can be an issue. I believe this particular model is ~ 15 ms response time. It worked okay with my IL2 Sturmovik figher simulation.

The larger screen does help with seeing more real estate in Civ3. I still miss the multi-zoom of Civ2.

Comment

Working...
                      X