Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Sage says goodby to Civ3

Dear friends,

I must confess I feel a bit teary-eyed today. Why? Because for the last two years (or was it more, I can’t remember…) we were like a band of brothers (or sisters, or…).

We had the same common passion: Civ3.

So, what’s Civ3, after all? A ‘friend’ of mine told me that computer games, especially those where the goal is to create a civilization, and make it win through planning, cunning, conquests, culture etc., was a ‘megalomaniac intellectual masturbation late-hours game’.

Really?

If I remember correctly, during the last few years, we all grew up (in terms of age and possibly wisdom), got/created/changed jobs, had our lot of new boy- girlfriends, some of us even married (or lost dear ones, Civ3 fault?) and even raised a new generation of Civ fanatics (Axelman, how is your son faring, btw?).

If this was just the result of ‘intellectual masturbation’, then I must confess we were most ‘successful’.

Of course, sitting alone in front of his/her/it computer screen is a bit ‘lonesome’, isn’t it?

Ah, but you forgot this forum…

I must confess, and this does not come easily to me (you know by now how arrogant I can be), that the only reason I played Civ3 for all those years was because I had the wonderful opportunity to share all my joy, frustration, techniques, discoveries, puzzles etc. with you.

I was a very average player when I joined this forum and, thanks to my ‘brothers’, I will leave it as a better player (forget that I won every single challenge, as ‘Eternal war Forever’, 5CC, OCC on Sid etc.), those were not skills, but just the arrogance of being the first one to report them on this forum…).

So, as I am leaving this Civ3 forum, I wish to thank you, from the bottom of my heart (and without irony this time), for all the marvellous hours I spent with you.

Now, before YOU get teary-eyed, I just wish to inform you that you won’t get rid of me that easily.

Civ3 is dead, long live Civ4!

You will have the (dubious) pleasure of ‘hearing’ from me soon.

Therefore, this is not meant to be an ‘adieu’, but just a ‘goodbye, dear friends…’

MS, forever.
    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

bye... hope you have a good holiday
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

We have already missed you MS.

Comment

We have missed you MS. I hope you have a nice sabbatical, and I hope to see you again soon.

Good luck, friend
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: Mountain Sage says goodby to Civ3

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
          If this was just the result of ‘intellectual masturbation’, then I must confess we were most ‘successful’.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
            We have already missed you MS.
            I'll be back...

We cannot have Arrian rampage unchecked with his 'dark side' through Civ4, can't we?
            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

"megalomaniac intellectual masturbation ....."

Comment

You're lucky because you've never been on the Off-Topic forum. You wouldn't be able to leave this place ever.
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

agreed about Civ3

I will need to finish off my pbem games before I say :beat it, scram, begone Civ3

BUT I will never throw it away
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                  X