setting up a perimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a perimeter

I managed to take out two other civs on this continent early in the game and decided to set up a perimeter around the whole continent. All the civ's were roughly equally spaced and located on the coast so....

I figure if another civ lands on the continent and manages to build a city before I have the whole thing full of cities, they'll have to build inside my perimeter and hopefully the city will flip.

Is this a reasonable strategy ?

Interesting, but I'd never try counting on culture-flips in my strategy. Please let us know how it works out.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It really depends on how you have your borders set. If you've completely cut off access to the interior of the continent by spacing cities all of the coastlines, then you can effectively keep every other civ off "your land". Unless they're there to invade you and take "your land", then the point is pretty much moot. Do you have a save that could help us out here?
      I don't so much play Civ as completely screw up Civ...

Comment

Reminds me of the Roman siege of Vercingitorax. Your idea would be easier if you had Railroads.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

The Great Picketlines

good value in some cases, banned in some pbem games and actively persued in others

yet watch out for berzerkers and marines
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Just shadow any ships with a few units. They will not be able to land and hence cannot settle.

If they have amphip, then it will be a declaration of war and you can kill any that land.

Comment

This is when having 50 scouts laying around is actually useful...they don't count for support, and can block over units...

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                Reminds me of the Roman siege of Vercingitorax. Your idea would be easier if you had Railroads.
                Now *that* is great history... I forget the Latin name for it, but Caesar was laying siege upon Vercingetorix, and yet had to worry about an oncoming Gallic force; he had his troops build an 11 mile (I think) fortification around Alesia, and then DOUBLED it with an outer wall. Friggin' genius!

Caesar understood Civ3 over 2000 years ago: A great warmonger starts as a great builder.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Caesar was as bold as he was brilliant (and lucky). How many people could have pulled off a siege while under siege himself?

Comment

ahhh yes he was lucky... yet a great trait for the true leaders of our history

more rum more rum more rummmm
                    more rum more rum more rummmmm
                    more rum more rum more rummmmmm
                    we want more rummmmm

more rum more rum more rummmm
                    more rum more rum more rummmmm
                    more rum more rum more rummmmmm
                    we want more rummmmm

Long Live Elizabeth
                    The Queen of Australia
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      A great warmonger starts as a great builder.
                      And vice versa.

Comment

Culture Flip

Originally posted by Vince278
                        Interesting, but I'd never try counting on culture-flips in my strategy. Please let us know how it works out.
                        I would like to humbly disagree. Early on, I ALWAYS build a city right up against another civ's outer cities. This stops their expansion and if I get a good lead on them, they eventually flip (best so far, Nuremburg, pop. 12 flipped to my side). I have had a couple cities flip to the other side, but I almost always got them back. While I don't rely on flipping 100%, I do take that chance every time and the gamble usualy pays off.
                        Of course, this is at the chieftain level
                        Poised for conflict at Ground Zero, ready for a war!
                        Many nordic Fighting men, their swords and shields all gleam in the sun.
                        Attention: All planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control.
                        http://saveamerica21.tripod.com

Comment

Play on Regent, or Monarch, or higher, and culture flips will rarely happen...

My last game as Greece, I only had 2 cities in the entire game flip, both of them to me...I had the same culture as the rest of the world combined, and had IIRC 6 GWs, and I was only in the middle of the middle ages...

Comment

Working...
                          X