Space Victory Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Victory Crash

So I played a Huge game and got to the very end, spaceship launch, the video attempts to play and it crashes to desktop.

I had no crashes throughout the entire game and no game play problems.

I'm running WinXP and have Conquests with Civ3 and all the latest patches.

I don't why it did this can anyone let me know if this at all common?

I have had many CIV3 victories in the past on my machine with winxp, this victory comes after me having a new hard drive installed and everything reinstalled.

Any help would be appreciated, I looked at the official civ3 site for know bugs, and here, but found nothing, I may have missed it but I did look.

Thanks
    John

Have you tried to duplicate the crash by restoring to an earlier save and winning SS again, or has this only happened once?

Does the introduction video play okay?

Comment

I seem to recall that a corrupt dll is the problem. I just can't think of the name.

Comment

Almost the exact same thing just haapned to me. I too had a hard drive replaced and I think this is the first time that I got the the space race vid.
        I crash right after I hit the launch button. I tried everything I could think of, upgraded vid drivers, etc, but it just crashes and crashes. I might try and load an earlier save to see if the same thing happens. I have the intro vid disabled currently, I will also see if that will play when enabled.

*edit* the intro vid does play without any issues.
        Last edited by Acemo; June 5, 2005, 23:33.
        Call me Frank.
        To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If it is the .dll, I believe Civ3 uses Bink. The file is called bink*.dll, where the * may be replaced by an extra character; check your Civ3 directory.

Comment

thanks Kloreep, your tip was this difference. I deleted binkw32.dll from my conquests directory and then I copied the version of binkw32 from my play the world directory into my conquests directory (get all that?) and it worked fine, thanks mate.
            Call me Frank.
            To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah that is the name, sorry I could not remember it at the time.

Comment

I can't get it to work, I've tried sever al things and still no success.

Since the problem I have removed CIV3 and reinstalled it with Conquests. I replayed all the conquests scenarios and won and that video (conquests victory video) played fine no problem.

I downloaded Bink Video player and actually played the space victory video with it and it played fine. I downloaded and tried several other versions of binkw32.dll including trying what Acemo had tried with no success.

I again played a game (2nd attempt) all the way to the end and achieved space victory where you launch the ship but when the video comes on it crashes.

It still crashes. I can't seem to fix it.

Comment

I seem to have the same problem. I've tried the original binkw32.dll from the Civ CD and a couple of others sitting in different game directories on my PC, no luck with any of them.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Ok, I found a solution. Forget the bink file, just go to the /art/movies subdirectory and rename the race.bik file. You don't get to see the movie, but you can win the game at least
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                    X